Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stitch welder for body work?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gibby2268, Jun 25, 2006.

1. gibby2268

gibby2268 1/2 ton status

Jun 6, 2006
    Yeah, I know...another noob question...gotta do soem body work, just sheetmetal, no fab type stuff, just lightweight body work. Would a small arc welder with a stitch welding attachment do the job here? Just gotta fix some rust, replace rockers, corners, door skins. Dont wanna spend a fortune...
  2. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Nov 29, 2001
    ive always wondered that as my welder can do that if I buy the kit... I have the lincoln electric 240v ac/dc welder... got it for free... would be nice to do bodywork with it too:wink1:
  3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Jul 24, 2003

I've used one I borrowed from a guy--it worked ok,but only with the special rods Eastwood sells for it...regular "welding store" 6011 or 6013 3/32" rods dont seem to light up right,and blew holes easily..I had difficulty welding a continious bead too..it does NOT make an arc welder into a MIG by any means!..but its better than the welder alone,but not by that much,in my opinion..

I can "spot" weld sheet metal patches in with my AC arc welder alone pretty good after lots of practice..DC would be even better than AC,you could reverse the polarity(put the electrode on the ground side instead of positive,and use positive for the "ground")...this make the rod hotter than the metal,and reduces penetration,and prevents blowing holes too easy...

I use 1/8" 6011 rods at low amps ,about 35 amps,to weld sheet metal,and don't expect to weld a bead longer than 1/2" or so without blowing thru--a tight fit up with no gaps is essential!(rivet or screw the patch down tight first,then weld it)....just "spot" weld it like GM did factory,its plenty strong,and use seam sealer or butyl rubber caulk to seal the gaps after welding...:crazy: