Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stock 15 and 16" wheel/disk brake questions

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by dyeager535, Feb 16, 2004.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

stock 15 and 16\" wheel/disk brake questions

Been thinking about the 14SF swap for my truck, need to get my ducks in a row before I commit to anything.

I like the factory 15" wheels on my '86., which is one reason for the 14SF. (6 lug 10 bolts now of course) I've already decided on it with consideration of strength, availability and so on. But there are a few things I'm unsure of, not owning a truck with this axle.

What I'd LIKE to end up with is rear disk brakes. I'd love to have factory rear disks, but I'm not sure they wwould clear the stock 15" wheels I have. I have a *feeling* the calipers wouldn't be an issue, but I'm curious as to backspacing.

Just from looking at other trucks, it LOOKS like the newer trucks run way more backspacing (think thats right, the newer wheels look "flat" while mine are pretty "dished" when on the truck) than the older wheels.

So I guess to get to the questions in a nutshell, did these axles come with disks in the first place? will 15's clear a facotry disk setup on these axles? What year were disks FIRST introduced on the 6 lug 14SF, and are they still around? Do the 10 bolts and 14SF share the same axle flange "bolt pattern" for the backing plate? (This I doubt) Are the hub "cutouts" on the 15" and 16" wheels the same size, with both IFS and solid front axles?

Guess that would be enough to be able to figure out if the swap is do-able.

Thanks for any info you might have on this, or speculation.

Even one or two answers are better than none! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

Re: stock 15 and 16\" wheel/disk brake questions

I don't have any year info for you, but I've never seen a 6-lug SF14 with disks. I know that the new 2500's (8-lug) have disks, factory, but as far as I know, the SF14 is no longer being used in a 6-lug configuration. I may be wrong. Disk may have been an option for the last year or two of the last body style, but I've never seen a truck with them. I've thought about doing a similar project, and I plan on using some TSM brackets (or another manufacturer) with 3/4 ton front calipers and 1/2 ton rotors. I've never actually tried this, but I assume that it would work. I would also consider using an 8-lug axle to begin with, and purchase 6-lug axleshafts if I couldn't find an affordable 6-lug axle to start with. Going the aftermarket route, I don't see any reason why 15" wheels wouldn't fit. I don't know about a stock GM disk setup.

3. dyeager535

Re: stock 15 and 16\" wheel/disk brake questions *DELETED*

Post deleted by dyeager535

4. dyeager535

[ QUOTE ]
    but I've never seen a 6-lug SF14 with disks. I know that the new 2500's (8-lug) have disks, factory, but as far as I know, the SF14 is no longer being used in a 6-lug configuration.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm. Well, if that is the case (no 6 lug rear disks) the 8 lug disk setup SHOULD be a bolt on. No reason to change the axle flanges based on lug nut count, or so it would seem.

[ QUOTE ]
    with 3/4 ton front calipers and 1/2 ton rotors.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably would, but for my use, e-brake is a necessity.

[ QUOTE ]
    I would also consider using an 8-lug axle to begin with, and purchase 6-lug axleshafts if I couldn't find an affordable 6-lug axle to start with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, either aftermarket or used ones could be had I'm sure. I saw a 6 lug (I think) 14SF on here in pieces for $75, not bad for axleshafts and some spare parts. :P

[ QUOTE ]
    Going the aftermarket route, I don't see any reason why 15" wheels wouldn't fit. I don't know about a stock GM disk setup.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only problem I can think of is that the later factory disk setups are all e-brake in the "hat" of the rotor. The mini drum brake used only for the emergency brake. Still, with older factory wheels, the wheel should end up further out from the caliper, providing extra clearance. Or at least that makes sense to me, without actually seeing the axle assembly. You couldn't use different than stock axle lengths though, because of the brake caliper being bolted to the axle.

Thanks for the info and ideas, we'll see what comes to pass. Guess I better find the GM media page that shows the dealer brochures for the various years.

5. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

For the E-brake, you could always use Caddy Calipers, although they are expensive and you would have to adapt the cables.

6. dyeager535

I dislike the caddy calipers for numerous reasons, the newer drum in hat brakes are just a better setup.

From any GM lit I could find, 2000 was the first year of 4 wheel disk in trucks, (not even optional earlier??!!) and only in the Silverado. From what I could tell, 1500=6 lug, 2500=8 lug. No idea if the 14SF was used in any 1500 Silverado's, but I doubt it, because I'm still seeing 8.5's (or what appear to be "new design") 8.5's under the trucks.

Probably could do an 8 lug to 6 lug axleshaft swap, using the 2500 14SF housing (if thats what it is) but that means either two axles, or $300 or so just for axleshafts.

7. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I think the '03-up Savana/Express 2500 (light duty) uses a 6-lug 14bSF and discs. Not sure on width though....

As already mentioned, GMs rear disc setups use a drum parking brake situated in the "hat" of the rotor. Makes for a large diameter on the rotor, and necessitates 16" wheels (or in the very least, a 15" wheel with minimal backspacing).

You could do your own discs...

Use 88-98 K1500 (IFS) rotors, K5 front caliper brackets, and K5 calipers on an 88-98 K-series 6-lug 14bSF. Redrill, space, bolt (or even weld) the brackets on the axle housing. This combo will clear 15" wheels. You can get your parking brake back with a driveshaft brake (not sure what t-case you have). /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif