Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stock 16.5's that will hold the beads

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wayne, Oct 30, 2006.

1. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I just noticed this today and was not sure if anybody else ever posted this info. I found out that they do have stock 16.5x6.75 rims that will hold the beads just like a 15 or 16" rim. They are M truck wheels. The centers are rivited in and they weigh a good bit more then a civi 16.5x6.75" wheel. The top 2 pics are M truck wheels and if you look close you can see the grooves on both sides for the beads and the bottom pic is a stock civi 16.5x6.75" rim. You can also see the rivits on the M truck wheels and the weld marks on the stocker.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

nice find.

3. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

i'm leary of 16.5's

i've read that there is a hump behind the bead on 15" and 16" wheels that are there to help the tire hold the bead. and from what i understand is that the 16.5 wheels dont have this added ...uh "hump". that they are more flat out to the bead and will let the tire back away from the rim.:dunno: oh i just realized you said that would hold a bead, so the m truck 16.5's have this hump, huh. thats what you were saying in the 1st plce, duh:doah:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2006
  4. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

how wide is that wheel? looks a little narrow for big tires.

5. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

:D

Ira

6. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

:doah: wouldn't you know I skimmed right over that, right to the pics.:doah:

7. Txchevy18

Txchevy18 1/2 ton status

Just a thought, could you take a piece of say 1/4'' round stock and weld it around the rim to in effect create a "hump" of course it would need to be welded and ground down. Hmm I wonder if ive lost my mind or Ijust came up with my next project.

8. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

i prob wouldn't even put stock down. the hump on 15's and 16's isn't THAT pronounced. a good sized bead would probably be pretty close.

9. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

You could get a 12.5 wide tire on with out to much effort. Might even be able to do a 13.5. I might be a good alternative to somebody building on the cheap. If they are only doing 35's or 37's and on a tight budget these wheels might fit the bill.

10. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Oh and BTW, I need them without tires. I got them to get my truck in and out of the garage.

11. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

I suppose you could do something like that. I have no idea if 1/4" is the right amount (probably not). If you have too much material you will never get a tire on the wheel and if you have to little you won't help the bead problem much. IMO, just buy the right wheels/tires in the first place and it won't be an issue.

12. Txchevy18

Txchevy18 1/2 ton status

Ya I know all about the rims not letting the tire fit on. I used to work at discount tire for about two years so I have a decent collection of rims and tires laying around that I just coldnt let got to scrap. I noticed I have an extra set of 16.5 12's centerline alumminum rims sitting in the back and was just toying with the idea. I have a the same size wheel on my truck right now just they are welds in stead of centerlines. Wheels look great but after about 15 pounds or so and quick manuver offroad and youl blow a bead. Ive been thinking about beadlocking them but with out a safety bead it would be almost pointless. Like I said just an Idea, I may grab a spool gun while im on beak at work and try running a small bead around one of my spare wheels and see how it works.