Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stock 1977 K5 Front Shackle Dimensions???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rigdonhome, Jun 7, 2003.

1. rigdonhome

rigdonhome 1/2 ton status

Could some fine Person out there give me some dimensions for the stock shackles that came on my K5? Mine have been replaced by some cheap junk that I want to put back to stock and lift properly with lift springs.

The main dimension I need is the distance from center-to-center from the spring bolt hole to the frame mount bolt hole. The shackle width would also be helpful, but I can probably figure that out closely by the bushing width.

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Cheers,
    Scott

2. rigdonhome

rigdonhome 1/2 ton status

3. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't suggest replacing with stock shackles, they are junk. I have pics somewhere of my stock shackles bent a good half inch to one side. They are flimsy stamped steel and no good for offroading. You can get shackles here
    http://www.hill4wheeldrive.com/ or here http://www.offroaddesign.com/index.htm for slightly more than stock shackles.

EDIT: also wanted to add if you are lifting the front slightly longer shackles will prevent your spring eyes from hitting the frame during flexing. That's why most aftermarket shackles are 1/2" or more longer than stock.

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

The stock length is 4" center to center. If you have 6" lift springs or more then you'll need to add 1/2" to keep from hitting the frame. Using 1/4" plate is stronger than stock, most use 3/8" plate. Stock bolts were 7/16" but many people up to 1/2" bolts with new bushings. Good luck.