Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stock 350 TBI Cam Options??

Discussion in 'The Injection Section' started by k5onswampers, Mar 4, 2007.

1. k5onswampers

k5onswampers Registered Member

I have a stock 1990 blazer 350 TBI I have headers a throttle body spacer and I would like to install a cam what are my best options and do I need to chip it at the same time??? If so how big can I go it is a daily driver to just looking for some low end power and maybe a little lump in the idle

2. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You don't want any lump in your idle with an EFI setup... Loping causes nothing but trouble in the world of EFI tuning, and should be avoided unless you plan on taking it somewhere to get it dyno tuned properly.

Comp Cams, and other cam companies have lots of fuel injection friendly cams to choose from, take a look on their websites, and maybe give their help-lines a call, and see if they can offer any suggestions based on your engine specs etc.

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Your best bet if you dont want to get a new chip is Comp Cam # 252BH-11
    Great low end cam. You can also go with 1.6 ratio roller tip rockers with that cam to gain even more torque.
    Comp extreme energy #XE249H is also computer frendly and will work good. That is the biggest cam I would use on a stock engine. Dont need a cam that makes power beyond 5000 RPM. Anything bigger is overkill. The heads and intake wont support it. 4800 RPM is all you will get out of a stock TBI. Valves start floating, heads, intake, and TB run out of air.

4. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You've had good advice there, all I can add is that I use an Edelbrock Performer cam which is mild and comp friendly. In my tuning experience the stock TBI heads actually start to choke themselves around 4000 up so don't worry about high end stuff.

5. k5onswampers

k5onswampers Registered Member

Another thing is I have a friend with a complete 1999 5.7 vortec motor that has a spun rod bearing it is a friends it started to knock slightly and he just dropped it off at chevy and had a brand new motor installed. and they gave him his old motor back complete. I was thinking about swaping over the heads and buying the gm performance manifold for it.