Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stock 350, would a carb and intake help?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 79cheyenneblazer, Jul 13, 2005.

1. 79cheyenneblazer

79cheyenneblazer Registered Member

I have a stock 350, and I am going to get new valave guide seals put in, but while I'm at it I was thinking about taking the stock intake manifold and the quadrajet off and putting on a performer air-gap, with a 600cfm edelbrock performer series carb? Does anyone think this might boost a little bit of torque? or not do much of anything? I was always told that a little bit smaller cfm carb. will boost low-end torque, but a bigger one will boost top-end. I love how my quadrajet kicks down right now, but I need a lil more torque with the 33's.

2. uglyangelracing

uglyangelracing 1/2 ton status

Do you mean the Victor Jr intake? Thats a single plane, air gap intake. I ran it on my 73 dually with a holley and didnt like it at all. I think the carb was too big though and that could have been why I didnt like it. Right now I have a performer intake and 600 edelbrock carb.

3. 79cheyenneblazer

79cheyenneblazer Registered Member

I meant the performer Air-gap, its a dual plane, its my DD and I need it to run good. I was just wanting to know if it'd be worth while to do it.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Do the performer air gap , not performer rpm air gap , and keep the Q-Jet . Better power and mileage that way if ya keep off the rear barrels , AND it will not stall on inclines forwards , sideways , or up and down :D

5. mrhoes

mrhoes 1/2 ton status

If you bounce around alot offroad I would not put a edelbrock on It, I have the 600 cfm on my K5 and bouncing around and on angles it SUCKS!!!

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

IMO keep the Qjet and get a spreadbore manifold for it. They are best for 4x4s I think you will be further ahead with a Qjet Then by running a Edl 1400 carb. They are crap off road.
    Also if you get a manifold get a set of headers/exhaust to get the best bang for your $$$$

7. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

The performer is a square-bore manifold and the Q-bog is a spread-bore carb..........wont fit w/o a adapter

8. Codeman96

Codeman96 1/2 ton status

Wrong answer I am running a Performer witha Q jet and no adapter. The rpm I believe is a square bore but not the standard performer.

9. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

The RPM series manifolds don't come on the pipe until 1500 and will pull clean to 6500 rpm,
    the standard performer makes power off idle but is limited on top-end power with a cut-off point of 5500 rpm which is probably great for your application.
    650 cfm is the largest square-bore carburetor that you can choose from w/o over-carbureting the engine.
    I believe the Performer EPS is a spread-bore manifold that will readily accept your torque-friendly Q-bog is you decide to keep it.
    As stated elsewhere in this thread a tuned exhaust sytem will do wonders for torque and power production while complimenting your new intake/carb combo, while your in there swap the cam out for a something with a bit more lift/duration (Comp XE268H) as well..........details on our findings and links to exhaust system info can found elsewhere on the garage forum.