Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stock 350

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jayccb, Jun 1, 2004.

1. jayccb

jayccb Registered Member

I'm looking at replacing my engine and am trying to figure out if I should go with a crate motor or just rebuild mine. I want to increase the hp by at least 100 hp. Can I just change the heads and cam shaft of mine without changing everything else? I've never done a rebuild and of course money and time are issues. Can anyone help?
    Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. chevyalltheway

chevyalltheway Registered Member

if you have the cash i would get a crate moter. if not make sure you at least check the bottom end of the moter you are rebuilding. ive seen alot of moters that have self destructed cause of the horse power increase with worn out rod and/or main bearings. just some things to think about.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    I've never done a rebuild and of course money and time are issues. Can anyone help?

[/ QUOTE ]

In that case you may want the crate motor approach. It is no fun running into problems on your only transportation ( been there , done that ). It isn't hard to rebuild an engine, but some machining may be required if it is real worn. Some tools will also need to purchased/borrowed, like ring compressor etc.

It is very fulfilling to see it run after doing it yourself though. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. buckshot33

buckshot33 Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I've never done a rebuild and of course money and time are issues. Can anyone help?

[/ QUOTE ]

In that case you may want the crate motor approach. It is no fun running into problems on your only transportation ( been there , done that ). It isn't hard to rebuild an engine, but some machining may be required if it is real worn. Some tools will also need to purchased/borrowed, like ring compressor etc.

It is very fulfilling to see it run after doing it yourself though. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Im gonna have to agree with this. 100 hp gain is a pretty healthy gain and will take some planning to achieve. just drop a 350 or 383 crate motor in it but nothing with too much cam. you don't wanna lose any of your low end.