Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stock '72 K5 Blazer into a pure offroad vehicle

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dr1553, Nov 4, 2000.

1. dr1553

dr1553 Registered Member

Stock \'72 K5 Blazer into a pure offroad vehicle

Hello everyone!

I have a 72 blazer that I want to turn into a pure offroad vehicle. I'm not worried about it being street legal because I will tow it to the trails. Right now heres the specs...

1972 K5 Blazer 4x4
    OHV V8 350 cid.
    Auto TH350 tranny
    NP205 Transfer Case
    Up front a Dana 44
    And in the rear a GM corporate 12-bolt
    power steering(broken pump right now)
    a 3" sus. lift with rancho 5000 shocks at the corners
    and 33x12.50R15 Dunlop Radial Mud Rover on
    15x10 wheels

I'm not sure of the stock gearing so I dont know...I think it's 3.71's?

So considering that it's not going to be on the street except on a trailer what should I do? I would like to get up to 38 maby 40" tires. I want an all around mean truck. I want to be able to rock climb but also be a mud machine. My little bro. is helping with the funds and he wants a mud buggy but I would like to be a little more all around.

So what gears should I go with, brand/ratio? What about lockers? What type? And should we install custom driveshafts? What about lifts?

Right now I am just getting ideas to run by my brother. This will be a family project/cool huh!

We do have a limited budget so we cant get to extreme!

Thanks,
    David

2. DOUGHBOY

DOUGHBOY Registered Member

Re: Stock \'72 K5 Blazer into a pure offroad vehicle

i think you would be better off starting with a 1985 k5.maybe with a 350/350/205.it would be alot better for you.as a matter of fact i happened to have one,i could probally just swap you even,just because im nice .lol good luck

guns dont kill postal workers do.
    CENTRAL ILLINOIS

3. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't lift it, just get the sawzall and trim those fenders. If being used for heavy mud you may want to get a Dana60 up front and a 14bolt out back, hydraulic ram steering, full cage, 5 gal. windshield washer resivor, radioator in the bed, no doors or top, 502cid crate motor...

Cruisin in my '73.

4. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Well, its sounds like yuo have a good base to start with. If you are going to go up to +38" tires you need to get some bigger axles, no way around it. You are going to eat up the shafts fast. Gearing in these is going to be at least 4.56. I would go with 4.88 personally. All the frames for these trucks need to be reinforced at the frame where the streeing gear is located. A lot of people use the weld in kit or the frame brace from ORD. If you get a 6" lift on your rig you will have some good flex. Combine this with some sawzall work you will be in good shape. See what some of the guys have done to their trail rigs. Get a cage for safety if your climbing. About the only other thing you might want to consider is how your going to cool this beasts engine and trans. Keep looking asking questions of the guys here as you go.

5. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

My vote is to beef the tranny a little bit and throw a big cooler on it. Get a steering box brace. Go with something reallll deep like 5.13 gears since you'll never be on the highway. 1 ton axles are a must unless you like huge repair bills. Dana 60 in the front and either a Dana 60, 70 or Corporate 14 bolt in the back. Don't get a body lift. Use a susp. lift of either 4 or 6 inches and hack the fenders.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

6. dr1553

dr1553 Registered Member

Everyone,

Looks like everyone is saying a dana 60 up front with either a dana 60 or a GM Corporate 14 bolt in the rear. I thought the Dana 44 and the GM 12 bolt were good axles, but if everyone is saying to go bigger than I need to go bigger! So where should I be looking to find axles? Are rebuilds a good option here? Or should I go with new stuff? I dont even know how much this stuff costs.....do I want to know?

So new axles, roll cage a must!, beef up steering(where can I find info on that?), relocate radiator/and hook it to an electric fan, tranny cooler(have that already).

What about driveshafts? With these huge axles what kind of shafts do I need to send power to them with?

And also, my brother dicided to tear up the torque converter in the auto tranny. So thats at the top of the list, so sometime this week I plan on dropping the NP205 diff. and the tranny. That should be fun. Any good brand of torque converter that I should put in? I guess I'll have the complete tranny tore down and rebuilt along with the transfer case. Anything special I should do to either piece while their out?

Thanks for all the tips so far!

Thanks again,
    David

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Sounds like a good project!
    One of the good things is the 69-72 Blazer has a 104 inch wheel base so makes for a great trail rig! Going to 1ton is a great way to BEEF it up! I prefer the 4speed ofer the slush box but doing the swap on your rig would just add to the poket book!
    For a Dana60 front the price can very from 1000 bucks to a Dynatrac NEW D60 with all the goodies at 3500 smakers!!
    The 14bolts I think are around 500 to 1500 depending on the guts!!
    Best of luck on your project.
    OH ya for a list of aftermarket vendors that make stuff that will work on a first Gen K5 goto my website listed below to get a vendor list!
    Later

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com

8. dr1553

dr1553 Registered Member

Burt,

I went and looked at your rig! Nice...very! Could you tell me a little more about the cam you installed? Where did you get it? Was it a kit or just the cam? My little bro. is going crazy lookin for the best 4x4 cam ever built. :-) I'm more worried about the driveline and suspension. He's taking care of the engine rebuild/buildup.

Thanks,
    David

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Sorry don't have that info. All I know is that it is refered to as an RV Cam. More for lowend torque, towing and stuff....
    ALLOT of cool stuff you can do to thease rigs! I will put a 383 Stroker built for torque next! Of coarse i'll have to use up the 350 I have now but I plan on keepin my K5 for life so some day I'll upgrade the motor.
    Best of luck

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com