Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stock ABS Drums to Disk Brakes

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Lance, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

I just purchased a 14 bolt for my rear with a disk brake setup in place. According to the specifications table, my '90 came with rear ABS (anti-lock brake system) on the 10-bolt from the factory. I think I know what it takes to hook up the disc brakes, I just want to know how this will effect the ABS system, if at all. Will the rear disks act like the ABS drums? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I would have to say that it would, unless the ABS sensors were at the wheel/drum, instead of the carrier. (center section) If ABS sensors were at the wheels (IIRC, early S-10's with ABS in the rear were this way) then if you removed the sensors, or what they read, it *should* kill that system.

I also seem to recall that K5 (V10, whatever) ABS systems had something else hanging off of the Master Cylinder/brake lines up front....

3. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

1st.. I'm jealous! My 14 came with drums!
    I put an 80 under my 91 sub with the rear-abs.. and no problems whatsoever. As i understand it, the 'anti-lock' sensor is in the rear of the tranny (and confirmed by my 90 service manual).
    Only issue i've had is the pedal seems to go further down than before. Plenty of braking power.. just 'lower' than I'd like.