Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stock air cleaner/intake.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by eshorvath, Jul 12, 2002.

1. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

Any suggestions on reducing the number of air and breather lines in with the stock intake/carb? Can I put an aftermarket aircleaner and discard most of the crap in my engine compartment?
    ed

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Most of those lines are there for a reason, it would not be wise to tear them out without knowing exactly what they do. There are vacuum lines for the PCV, brake booster, vacuum advance, thermostatic relay for the heat riser, EGR, fuel line, fuel return line, line for the charcoal canister and probably a bunch more stuff if you have AIR or other smog equipment. You could probably eliminate some of them, but if it's running well I don't really see the point. </font color>

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The ONLY thing I would perhaps suggest ripping off, and only if its leaking (which is ultra common) is the AIR system. That doesn't affect vehicle operation, and you can still (typically) pass emissions with it.

Removing the stock air cleaner won't help clena anything up, and I know I'm in the minority, but I think the stock air cleaner is better than aftermarket. Go with a high flow filter if you must, but until someone *proves* to me that their engine demands more CFM than the stock air cleaner/filter can deliver, I'm sticking to my theory that it can't help.

I'm talking 81-up here, as the earlier cleaners sucked IMO, and the '81 ups I can see some people having problems sucking water in when plowing into a pool of water or mud if wheeling hard.

4. dyeager535

BTW, wasn't clear, if you end up removing AIR, you can fail a visual inspection if required, but either way, when removing it, you have to be cogniscent of what hose does what, as removing all the stuff tied into AIR without paying attention, might result in things like EGR, EVAP, and Vac Advance not working correctly, none of which hurts engine performance.

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

There is one other reason to use a K&amp;N type instead of OEM paper. If you do go over a water crossing, the K&amp;N Will prevent a lot of water from passing rought through, and it sitll holds its shape, even when wet. Cant do that with paper!

6. dyeager535

So if it prevents water going through, how does air pass through? /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Kinda like Gore Tex eh?

Seriously though, I guarantee I can take my cheapy fram and soak it in a bathtub and pull it out and still have it maintain shape. Maybe they aren't all this way, but my 6" or so (tall stock air cleaner) filter element has the metal "screen" over it that won't allow the filter to deform unless you walk on it or something : )

Besides, with a snorkel, dependent on which direction its facing, it won't *need* to get soaking wet.

7. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

That stock air cleaner will kick the butt of any open element filter around. My thermostatic control valve got stuck the other day and I could tell right off the bat it wasn't happy. It was stuck open and sucking air from the outside. It wasn't happy in the morning (temps are below normal this week) and never seemed to come around when cruising. Now that things are working, it doesn't miss a beat.