Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stock air intake VS. Open air filter

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85mudblazin, Jun 4, 2004.

1. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I have the stock air intake with my 350 and I was wondering which is better, the stcok or the open air filter, the stock gets cold air but the open filter prolly gets more air but it is hot air, which one?? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

If the rest of the engine is stock then the stock air intake will be fine. No since in an open air filter if everything else is stock. Since engines are nothing more than an air pump the faster You get air into it the faster You need to get it out.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Get a second stock air filter and you make a dual snorkel setup with a little work. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. jester

jester Registered Member

If you take your truck mudding I would leave it stock or snorkel it. I have an open air filter on mine and sometimes when I am out mudding I throw mud or water up into it and it gets REALLY clogged and sometimes I will end up choking water down. I am going to snorkel it pretty soon.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Once my TPI is roadworthy, I'm going to run it off of cold air, then run it off of engine bay air. I'll watch the MAT readings, see how much of a difference there is.

Difference at cruise will probably be negligible, low engine or vehicle speeds are where it will hurt regarding temperature.

I already know which is hotter, I just can't recall how much. Something like 40-80* IIRC.

Only problem is, without knowing the flow capability of the stock air cleaner/snorkel, there is no way to know if it's restrictive or not...a dyno can't duplicate the different temperature underhood, so dyno tests between open air cleaners and snorkels aren't valid unless the temperature difference is factored in as well.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I like to split the difference. Since the stock setup already pulls cold air from the grille area, I just replace the stock air filter element with a direct replacement K&N. More flow, but still have cool air coming in. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

My brother-in-law went to an open filter on his FI rig and swore that once the motor was warmed up he could feel a drop in power. He went back to the factory setup and it was better.

I have an open element, but I plan to swap to a snorkel type set up.

8. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

From what I understand, its about a wash. You will get more airflow with an open element but get hotter air to go with it.

The stock tube to the front is restrictive by its nature, unless its huge for our applications, but allows cooler air in and that is better.

Here's what you can do on the cheap to see what you like, Flip the top of the air cleaner over so that the air cleaner is exposed and then drive it around. It will sound cooler and then you can make up your mind on what you would like to do.

9. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

I realy didn't see much difference going from my tall K&N to a 85 TBI snorkle.

10. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Also would it help to take the little plate that is in front of the intake off? It prolly helps to keep water and bugs out so could you just use a screen or something like that? I think it would let alot more air in. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

It would probably make a marginal difference. I suppose at high speeds having the deflector removed would give more of a "ram air" type affect. Doubt it would be huge. If you go ahead and remove it, and your worried about bugs and such, put some screen window type stuff over the inlet opening in the grill.

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I like to split the difference. Since the stock setup already pulls cold air from the grille area, I just replace the stock air filter element with a direct replacement K&N. More flow, but still have cool air coming in. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

More flow at the cost of more dirt entering the engine. If my truck was my daily driver, the last thing I'd want is a K&N. One of my customers sold me one at a very low price so I run one--with a prefilter. K&Ns really don't filter all that well (that is why Cummins won't warranty an engine with a K&N filter on it). So, in my opinion, your idea isn't such a good one.

Ram air effect will not come into play until well over 100 MPH. Running the intake hose to the front of the truck will help it draw cooler air, but the force of air rushing off the front of the truck is not going to force air into that tube unless you drive 100 MPH or faster.

Ram air on a street vehicle is a joke. It isn't ever going to happen.

13. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'd stick with stock but try to find a tall air cleaner and then knock the charcoal ring out. They flow as much air as a Quadrajet will at 1.5" of Mercury with the filter element installed and the snorkle. Somewhere around 800CFM. I have mine plumbed to suck air out of the passenger fender.

For every 10° increase in air temperature you lose about 1% power. I measured my underhood temperature one time with the mechanical clutch fan and it was about 140° which explains why sometimes I had fuel boiling problems (gas boils around 150° when it isn't under pressure). With my electric fans my underhood temperatures are much higher.

These are the air cleaners I'm talking about:
    [​IMG]

14. Highjaxx

Highjaxx 1/2 ton status

The formula I saw was 1HP - per - 10*F.

I would run a K&N filter(tall if you can), stock housing for tall filter, remove carbon ring (if even still there), and leave the plate over the intake at the grill.

Unless you just cut the plate off; since window screen will restrict wind flow by about 50%. You may do well to put a 1/4" wire screen over it instead.

We get to ventilate houses at work during and after fires /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif, the window screens always get taken off. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I run the same fram tall filter, air cleaner assembly and dryer duct to the grille area. Its so dusty here I have to buy one after a weekend trip. I can actually feel the difference when its dirty /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

16. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

He buys one after every trip out, and i haven't changed mine in 6 -8 months and still have no problems, you crazy Paul /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Keep the stock setup, IMO, the filter won't get as dirty as fast as an open element filter, les "area" for the air intake to grab the dirt, kinda hard to explain, if it's in a high performance application, i would definately get higher flowing ducting, but still keep some kind of ducting.

17. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Here's what you can do on the cheap to see what you like, Flip the top of the air cleaner over so that the air cleaner is exposed and then drive it around. It will sound cooler and then you can make up your mind on what you would like to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

my friend this on is S-10 blazer...

18. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

leave it stock..i have an open one and it blows. bout the only thing i can say, is it kinda looks cool heh.

19. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I really want a snorkel set up for my K5. I am planning on moving back to the Omaha, Ne area with in a year so I won't have trees too worry about. I'll mostly be mudding, and the thought of a cool air intake system above the roofline sounds good to me. Plus they look really cool. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

20. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

More flow at the cost of more dirt entering the engine. If my truck was my daily driver, the last thing I'd want is a K&N. One of my customers sold me one at a very low price so I run one--with a prefilter. K&Ns really don't filter all that well (that is why Cummins won't warranty an engine with a K&N filter on it). So, in my opinion, your idea isn't such a good one.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Where do you come up with this stuff Tim? Check out: K&N FAQ Page
    (The info won't format properly if imported directly to here). I have K&N filters in all my junk, with no problems at all. The 4.3 Liter V6 in the '91 S-Jimmy has had one installed since it was less than a month old. Over 150,000 miles and many incredibly dusty Colorado trails later, it still has awesome compression. The K&N gets incredibly dirty in the course of a year, with dirt up to a quarter of an inch thick caked on it. I never see paper filters that nasty, so where does the extra dirt go if you have a paper filter? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I think that the "Cummins Story" is just an urban legend, as I have never seen it in writing from a reputable source. From the K&N Web Page:

"16. Will the use of a K&N filter void my factory warranty?

It is against the law for a manufacturer to require the use of a specific brand of air filter unless it provides a replacement air filter, free of charge, under the terms of the warranty. For a more thorough discussion of this law known as the Magnuson-Moss Warranty, see our Vehicle Warranty Section of our Air Filter Facts page. Also see our Letter Regarding Vehicle Warranty and K&N Replacement Filters."

The other info referred to above is located here. Is there a Cummins web page somewhere that specifically berates the K&N air filters?