Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stock Alternator output

Discussion in 'Audio' started by KingSmoth, Nov 9, 2000.

1. KingSmoth

KingSmoth Registered Member

Hey, I was wondering what the stock alternator on an 87+ K5 puts out? I'm looking to buy one in the next few months, and will be installing a somewhat powerful system(~1200W RMS). I will probably just buy a new alt(200A probably)before the install, but would like to know anyway. Thanks.

2. istallion88k5

istallion88k5 1/2 ton status

I don't know the answer for sure, but I do know that Autozone has a direct replacement for mine, 88, that is only 95 or I could upgrade to a 105amp one. I am going with www.mralternator.com, 175amp direct bolt up powder coated for 165.

If it aint a Chevy don't raise it up!

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Another option - http://www.wranglernw.com, I have their 140 amp alternator with direct charge cable in my 79. Almost 3 years now and very happy with it........my engine builder and I checked out the output after converting it to serpentine belt setup (new pulley on front) and with motor hot puts out 70 amps at idle.

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

4. istallion88k5

Oh, and on my stock alternator I am running a Hifonics Zeus, 550W RMS x2 @2ohms and a 4channel Europa 50x4 RMS with a 1f cap, lights do dim slightly at night and voltmeter on the dash likes to drop to 13v at times but runs pretty good, but I am replacing the alt cause I will be adding more.

5. KingSmoth

Sweet, I am going to be running four HiFonics Series VII amps(two Hercules, two Odin), a Series VII Pegasus 1/3-Octave EQ, and a Series VII Callisto(if I can find one that is). I was looking at buying the 200A alt on Mr. Alternator.

6. istallion88k5

Bad thing is when I added the cap it then had enough current to keep up power output and fried my 2 RF subs and the amp, wierd no protection nothin, waiting on the amp to get back and getting 2 perfects. I also have a RF EPX/2 EQ/Crossover with the 28 band eq card running in back.

7. KingSmoth

Sounds like a nice setup. I'm going to be running two IDQ 12-D4's, two IDQ 8-D4's for midbass, my Premier 5.25" components for midrange/highs. My Pioneer DEQ-7600 will be in next week.

8. istallion88k5

Where did you put your components? I'm thinking of putting a set in the panels as close to the front in the rear seat panels, i.e. cutting a whole where the ash trays are.

9. KingSmoth

Actually I don't have my K5 yet, planning to buy it around February if all goes well with money(I got a huge cutback at work, so money has been a bit short the past few months). I'm getting in my old time at work starting next week, so I should be well on my way to buying it by then. Does anyone have any interior shots they can post, I'd like to see how much work it will take to do what I want with it. Thanks.