Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stock axles too small?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigslok5, Sep 14, 2003.

1. bigslok5

bigslok5 Registered Member

If I go and put lockers and gears in my stock 44 and 12 bolt, will I be asking for breakage? That is while running 37's.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

It is all dependent. If you wheel hard, then yes, you will break parts. You can break 1 ton gear with 37's if you wheel hard enough. I have seen people here in AZ run the rocks pretty damn hard with 1/2 ton gear and 35" and survive pretty well. Yes you are going to break parts with 1/2 ton gear. Your driving style will determine weither you can make 1/2 and 37" survive.

If you drive hard then 1 ton is probably the best option. If you drive smart the 1/2 ton can survive. Just carry spare axleshafts.

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

if you just do light wheeling then you will be ok if you wheel hard at all you will break something /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

i wasnt even wheeling when i broke my half ton stuff... Clicky
    wouldnt bother with locking half tons...unless you do light stuff or only mud..

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Tell it to Marve and Rob.

bigs: wheel it some then decide what is right for you. Or at least give us some insight as to what kind of wheeling you do now, and what you would like to do in the future.

6. bigslok5

I'm a newbie to rocks. Used to run alot of mud with my last K5. This one will be a totally differant animal. Also wondering if it's worth changing to lower gears without installing lockers. I have factory limited slip and 3.73's now, gonna need some more grunt with 37's. I guess what I'm asking is whether it is worth tearing it back apart for lockers later? As funds permit.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

IMHO, it is not worth spending the money on 1/2 ton axles to regear them and lock them if you're planning on running a tire as large as 37 right off the bat. Odds are you'll want something larger later, so you might as well spend your money on the beef now.

8. Hossbaby50

You can always go with a lunchbox locker later. You don't have to tear the gears out to have them installed. You might try installing a lockright or something similar in the rear first and see if you start to break axleshafts, and if you do ok with it then install a front locker. If you break to many parts with just a rear locker then you know a step up is in order.

9. Hossbaby50

That is a very good point. I thought 33's would be the largest tire I would run on my truck. As of right now I have 35's and am planning 37-38's. So plans change, and if you think you might want bigger tires down the road then upgrading is probably in you best interest. 37" is in the 1/2 max range. Anything bigger isn't going to let 1/2 ton survive.

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

dont even bother swapping gears and lockers into a 12b rear axle... you could find a ff14b with a detroit for less. unless you want some wacky gear ratio...

j

11. bigjbear

With 37s and being new to rocks you might want to start thinking 1 ton. If you had some experience in the truck on rocks and keept it light it might work w/ beefed 1/2 ton axles. I'd say sell the stuff you got because those 3.73s will work great w/ someones 31s.

12. bigslok5

What if I stick with 35's and beef the axle shafts.
    /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

13. bigjbear

Stock 1/2 ton and 35s is on the edge. Beefed 1/2 ton and 35s will last ,BUT breakage is a possibility. Most people who wheel learn this and either accept it or up grade. Radials and aluminum rims will lighten things up at the cost of durability. Its just like the axle thing. Honestly, I would wheel it some and then decide your needs. I wanted to do a bigger light weight K5 but it was cheaper to just go one ton or keep the 35s & 1/2 ton. If you keep your 1/2 ton axles well maintained that will cut down on breakage.