Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stock Axles

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by izaguf, Nov 16, 2006.

1. izaguf

izaguf Newbie

Does anyone have an opinion on whether the GM stock 12 bolt and 10 bolt axles would be sufficient to handle the power of a Cummins 5.9L 24V engine. I have a 1979 K5 that I want to power with this engine.

2. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

what do you plan on doin with the truck?

id upgrade the rear axle without hesitation. the front kinda depends on what tires and wheelin you wanna do.

3. CrewCab59

CrewCab59 1/2 ton status

They will work for a DD,very light wheeling,I did a conversion on a 85 1/2 and he runs it hard on the street ,only thing went on the rear end was the R&P with 3:08 and 33's and doing a 35 mph power slide they won't last!

4. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

I'm going to say no. Just for the fact the potential of the Cummins will be very limited by the 1/2 ton axles.

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

If you are a goof, NO :D
    But seriously it depends how you treat them.
    I had mine (perkins 5.9TD ) in my K5 on stock D44 and 12 bolt with 3.08 gears, with lockers front and rear and 35" tires.
    I wheeled it for 5 years and the only time I broke a front shaft was when I unlocked one side thinking I could steer better and went down hill and hit a rut with the tire that is locked.
    I never touched the gas OFF road though, I just let it idle with 415lbs of torque I didnt need to.
    I also drove it on the streets like a normal guy ( which I am not):haha:
    Finally my frame gave up and went to hell.
    :D

6. izaguf

izaguf Newbie

Well I don't plan on this K5 being a full-time trail rig. I want it to be a nice daily driver with good gas mileage. I was thinking about buying a military 14 bolt and Dana 60 from a guy here in Tucson. They come with lockers and 4.56 gears and he said he would sale both of them for $2200.

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Try to bring him down on the price, they usually go for less.:wink1:

8. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

He's right, check eBay for price comparison. Remember too 4.56 gears aren't the best for mileage.

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You should definilty consider upgrading to a good fullfloat rear axle for sure. They put D70's & D80's in Dodge Rams for a reason with those motors. As for the front axle you should be able to make it live but keep in mind that a 5.9L weighs about 1100lbs & having that much weight on top of a balljoint axle with larger tires is going to put a strain on it. The balljoints will not like it one bit. They would last awhile but how long is anyones guess.

Harley

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

My engine is 1300lbs, and my d44 survived more than 6 years so far and still is tight.
    I don't jump it, I don't touch the gas pedal off road, I don't go faster than 65 on the highway (because of the governor :haha: ) and it's doing fine.
    And same with the rear 12bolt. and that is with fullly locked front and rear with 35" tires.