Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stock caliper bracket -- 14b FF

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kxt, Mar 2, 2003.

1. kxt

kxt Newbie

I've been using the search feature for what seems like hours. So far I've found many 14bFF axle disc brake conversion threads. There are many brackets out there but has anyone tryed using the stock caliper bracket off a D44 front. I'm going to be getting the calipers and lines off of amy junk axle and want to make my own caliper brackets for my 14B

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I can't think of a good reason to make your own when the aftermarket practically gives them away...the brackets (with hardware...) run from $65 and up.

Trying to modify D44 brackets to work correctly on a 14 bolt rear is probably gonna turn out half-assed...and this is your brakes we're talking about.

Rene

3. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I've gotta agree with Rene. Why reinvent the wheel? All of the brackets that can be purchased through members of this site are tested, abused and proven. No reengineering needed. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

just spend the money, they are cheap. just think about how much you are worth. even for a person who works for 5hrs an hour. i am sure it's gonna take over 12hrs of surfing, looking for parts, cutting, welding, etc. multiply that by 5 and you are at 60. that's just on time. then comes electricity, gas, busted nuckles /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif, cuts /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif, and parts you'll use.

spend you time wheeling /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif and fixing broken things... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

that's how i see it.

ARQ

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I think ORU's kit is exactly this. They take a K20 front bracket, redrill it, and use a spacer.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

And charge $900.../forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Rene

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I think ORU's kit is exactly this. They take a K20 front bracket, redrill it, and use a spacer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, they do, and...

[ QUOTE ]
    And charge $900...

[/ QUOTE ]

...also true, for the standard calipers and not the e-brake calipers. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Adding e-brake calipers will add another $600 to the fee. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Anyways, I had some stock K20 plates laying around and sent them off to Bill (45acp) whom redrilled them to the 14FF flange bolt pattern and made me some 1 1/4" spacers that were necessary to get the proper clearance to run the calipers.
    These are exactly like what ORU sells. Only I got mine done for a fraction of the cost...let's say it was real cheap! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    some 1 1/4" spacers that were necessary to get the proper clearance to run
    the calipers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where do these spacers go? Got any pictures of the setup? I used the front Dana44 back plates for my 12B discs and they work great, so I will be using some sort of the same idea for the 14FF... $$ are short ya know! What are the K20 plates? Like D60 stuff? Or D44 stuff?

Mike

9. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

The spacers mount on the flange first with the backing plate sitting on the spacer with the bolts going thru to the threaded ends on the flange.

K20 plates are identical to K10's but just slightly larger around in diameter. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

I did find out that the 14bff DID come with disc brakes from the factory on the RV body (I think its a P body). I don't have my service manual close but I can verify if you want. From dealership the brackets are $650, who know what a yard would charge, if they even had one.