Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stock Carb / distributor

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by GadgetK5, Nov 11, 2001.

1. GadgetK5

GadgetK5 Registered Member

I purchased an '83 K5 Blazer a couple of years ago. Some time ago, someone swapped out the stock electronic carb and distributor for mechanical ones off an earlier model. I need to revert to the stock ones in order to pass smog here in CA.

I'm having trouble locating a new set for a decent price; does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can pick these up?

2. scavenger

scavenger 1/2 ton status

I have the original carb and distributor out of my 85 with a 305 and 700R4 tranny. I don't need these items and will sell for a reasonable price. Seeing that your Blazer is an 83 keep in mind that there were a lot of changes between 83-85 and there are probably others that can tell you if these years interchange. Also I don't know if all of these carbs and distributors will comply with CA emissions.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Are you SURE your truck requires them? Those carbs/distributors were required federally on cars in 1981, in CA 1980. CA is usually one year ahead of Federal, and to my knowledge, '85 was the first year of the semi-CCC carbs on trucks. My '83, although not CA, did not have a CCC carb/dist.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I belive only California emissions trucks ever had computer carbs on them.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Well, based on info I got from the boys on the "What is this box?" thread, wasn't my carb originally computer controlled if it was hooked into the ESC system?

<font color=blue> NEVER FORGET, NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

6. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

BTW Cali suck's! ....I hate all the damn smog crap!

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/vwryda>Welcome to Bucketheadland</a>

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I *think* ESC could be controlled seperately of any other engine governing devices, save the distributor. (hence why GM badged some of the K5's with "ESC" badges) Electronic Spark Control.

Neighbor has an '82 (stock non electrical carb) with ESC. Believe the different distributor connections, (more connections, perhaps a bit different distributor itself, but I doubt it) ESC "box", and knock sensor would be the only components of a stand alone ESC system, such as what non-cali ESC trucks would have.

I'm not sure why ESC is considered such a problem on the trucks, if all it does is retard the spark when the engine is knocking. I know a shop removed or disabled the ESC on the neighbors truck when it quit running, but I'm pretty certain now, knowing what I know, that the ESC wasn't the problem, it was likely the "normal" HEI stuff that fails, like module, coil, etc. The mechanic was just an idiot. (no insult to mechanics on this board, just this one, since the problem wasn't fixed)

As well, I think ESC was used on the CCC cars, but it was of course integral with the ECM, which "earlier" (say 81-84 for safe guesstimates) non-cali trucks just didn't get. The ESC in cars doesn't get a bad rap, and having a knock sensor in reality hurts nothing, and CAN save an engine.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?