Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stock driveshaft with lift?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ramses, Nov 27, 2005.

1. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

I thought I was going to need my rear driveshaft lengthened after I put on my new lift, but the splines arent showing any with the truck all the way in the air. It has a 4 inch shackle reversal, 1 inch zero rates, and 2 add a leafs for about 8 inches of lift. The pinion angle is actually very good too, I was surprised how much the shackle reversal angled the pinion, it looks close to perfect. I can get my shaft lengthened through a friend for nothing if I need it; hes doing the front too which had about a half inch of splines showing at full droop. If the splines arent showing at all, that means its long enough doesnt it?

2. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

if its a slip yoke rear drive shaft, you wont see splines. you dont want too much more than 1.5" of the shiny slip yoke showing.

3. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

The shaft has splines on it that slide into a sleeve on the back of the transfer case, is that what you mean by a slip yoke? I didnt think what I have is called a slip yoke.

4. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

does it look like

a:[​IMG]

or

b:[​IMG]

5. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

It looks like the first one except the slip shaft is on the transfercase instead of the rear end.

6. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

he has a fixed yoke 205... u should be fine with the stock shaft. i had the stock shaft lengthened for my 8" on my k5 which has a shorter wheelbase and it worked, jus had vibs. when i added zero-rates, it now longer worked.
    just get them lengthened

7. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

So should I worry about getting it lengthened if no splines are showing at full droop? I was lookin at it today and a question came to my mind, does the axle move back some when the springs are compressed with a shackle flip? If so, the shaft would be sliding out wouldnt it? I dont know of any way to test it since my springs are so stiff (it has 9 leafs). As far as the angle goes I know its okay, I just dont want the shaft to fall out.

8. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

PICS!!!! With your description, you should be ok.