Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stock Emissions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fire dawg, Feb 24, 2005.

1. fire dawg

fire dawg Registered Member

I bought a 1979 Blazer from a guy at work. It has the original 400 that has been rebuilt. I am moving to a state with emission laws and this truck no longer has any emissions system. Does anyone know what emission system this truck came stock with? It was built in Cali. Thanks.

2. moturbopar

moturbopar 1/2 ton status

Sorry I dont really have an answer for you, and I am also after that same info. I just bought a 79 blazer with a 330hp vortec head crate motor. It has cats on it but thats all. I know here in AZ that I will need the EGR, and CATs but not sure about a smog pump (thats what I am trying to find out).

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

da what state are you going to and what size truck? also look at your core support tag . that will let you know what you need.

4. fire dawg

I'm going to WA. It's a blazer with a 400.

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

most old trucks of 1/2 ton range were cat and egr with pcv valve possibly a a.i.r. system. some one will jump in on the regs for that state.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Washington doesn't do a visual, only sniffer.

Edit: and only in certain counties.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2005
  7. RustyMule

RustyMule Registered Member

If you don't have the sticker under the hood anymore, just do what I did. Go down to pick n pull and find a similar truck and see what the sticker says. Most likely AIR pump, EGR, PCV, cat and vapor can with some odds and ends stuff to go with it. Just make sure you don't have a super huge carb on it.

8. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

also another thing, if wa is anything like here in cali..and they happen to look under the hood..you need to have the factory thermostatic air cleaner...you know the big ugly black one? that was the biggest pain for me to get..they don't sell them anymore, and a few places that have them want several hundred dollars for them here in cali..but i managed to get the bottom half off a firebird and the top off a chevy van..and it worked...cost me 10 bucks at the pick and pull..i had to "piece" it together because a they are hard to find in junk yards too..so keep that in mind.

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I lost count of how many I junked!

I had at least a dozen stock GM air cleaners cluttering up my shop--I finally junked a lot of them--I found 3 more the other day in my shed--if I had known they were a hot item in CA,I would have been glad to sell them cheap!-:doah: -but they all had some bubbly rust on the housings,usable but not pretty!--I think things like this are planned in advance to get all older vehicles off the road--make it so you have to have every original smog part,and good luck finding any original air pumps,brackets,etc,when they have all been scrapped...:frown1:

10. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

Man you junked them?! d'oh!..i know people that still need them, and it took me 8 months to piece together mine..where were you when i was pulling my hair out! lol

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

what he said. Here in clark county they only do the sniffer. Haven't had anyone inspect things under the hood, even though just looking at the rig (doorless/gateless, big tires etc) it would seem like the kinda rig the owner would tear the emissions stuff out of. ;)

j

12. fire dawg

thanks for all the info guys. if they just do sniffer, i won't worry about it.