Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stock exhaust manifold v headers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by opfor2, Dec 4, 2005.

1. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

Today while working on my 90 Blazer I noticed that the passenger exhaust manifold was cracked back towards the firewall. So, what should I do? Replace it with an OEM manifold or get a set of shorty headers? (I live in the Peoples Republic of California so I need to stick with smog legal headers) I have a hi-flow cat and a cat back flow maser exhaust already. Would headers really help me on power and MPG or should I stay stock.

Thanks

Dan..

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Headers are a help especially since you already have a larger free flowing exhaust system. I ran a set of shorty Gibson headers from an 88 chevy truck on my blazer and had to slightly modify the driver side frame rail for them to fit but was VERY happy with them and am planning on that again for this blazer. The ones i bought were stainless and excellent quality but not cheap.

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

4. erik59

erik59 Registered Member

I got a pair of non-air headers from summit for 87.50 for my 89. It was probably the best deal I have seen on them. Like 4x4HIGH said, you already have the rest of the exhaust done, so it will make a pretty noticable difference.

Erik

5. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

Your 89 is like my 90 did you have any problems with the install ?

6. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I'm keeping the stock manifolds, because I am cheap, and I won't have to worry about making them fit. If I build a more performance oriented engine in the future, I will probably try to get ahold of some Doug Thorleys. :D
    James

7. erik59

erik59 Registered Member

The only problems I had with the install was removing the metal powersteering bracket that was attached to the aluminum bracket. I got a puller from advance and tried to remove the pulley, but it would not budge, so I got out the sawzall and removed the bracket that way. I also had to remove the bumpstop for the front diff. from the passenger side. Over all it wasn't that bad. Just make sure that you remove your plugs before you do it. I ended up breaking two of mine off because I thought that I could squeeze it in there without breaking any of them. Wrong.

Erik

8. pomai

pomai 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Edelbrock TEMS Headers

Any body got pictures of thsese header installed. I'm concerened with the Y pipe and the front drive shaft clearance.

Thanks Ed

9. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i got a set of thorley headers, and hi flow magnaflow cat/muffler. i didnt really see a difference in power. my feeling is you need a higher HP motor to take advantage of the increase in flow. stock motor is fine with stock exhaust. you start seeing gains when you build up the motor and its being held back by a restrictive exhaust.
    headers also resinate heat into the engine compartment. i had alot of problems trying to get the headers sealed up. i kept having exhaust leaks at different gaskets. never had a problem with manifolds. reason i went to headers was causs my manifold cracked. if i could do it over again, i'd probly just get a replacement manifold.

10. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Exactly... that and, when I was installing some cheap flowtech :doah: headers on my old '66 c-10, I sat there shaking with bloody knuckles and high blood pressure and swore I would never fool with headers again...... If I ever build something nice, like a 383 stroker, then I'll probably get a good set, but until then, I'll just settle for stock horsepower..... because contrary to spike TV commercials, there is no "magical" horsepower bolt on.. :wink1:
    James

11. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

I checked my LMC catalog today and they want 299.99 for ONE replacement manifold. Wow that's a lot of $$$$$$

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Typical gains from back to back dyno tests with long tubes are 20-40hp on bone stock chev 350's.

That is nowhere near a slight gain for the relative ease of install, or compared with the complexity of figuring out a better engine component combination.

13. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

what type of bone stock 350 are we talking about? a 180horse smog dog? or a stock non emissions 350 w/ a healthy carb. i cant see squeezing 20 horse out of a anemic late70-80's engine.

these gains were probly produced at or above 5000 rpm. the stock cam in my 89' quits @4k. i bet the dyno results would be very close @ 3500rpm and under ,which is where most of our truck engines live. torque numbers are probly very close in that range too, and thats what you feel in the seat of your pants on the street.

14. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have Edelbrock TES/headers on my 89 I like them. Have had them for bout 6 years now and have never had a leak. I bought then for the same reason as you . Cracked manifold. Great upgrade. More power better MPG
    If you get headers be sure to get headers with the 02 bung or weld one in. Gotta have the 02 sensor with TBI

15. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the relpy. Did you have any problems with the install ?

Dan..

16. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

No. Simple install They bolt right in with no cutting or welding. Hook right up to the stock exhaust at the cat. If you have to keep the cat convertor you should install a new high flow convertor while you have everything apart. The stock cat is pretty restrictive. No clearance problems with my 2" lift. But I have heard if you have over 4" lift the front drive line may hit the Y pipe.
    Smog legal in Calif too.