Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stock Front Shock Setups - 4 vs.2

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BJarvis354, Aug 3, 2002.

1. BJarvis354

BJarvis354 Registered Member

There is no information in the specifications page on this and I can't find anything on Google, so here it goes...

I gather that the additional front shocks were optional and controlled the axles movement front to back...Is this true? Does anyone know what the RPO code is for this?

I imagine this would stiffen the front and not allow as much articulation, hence be undesirable...True?

The reason I am asking is I think I got some front suspension problems, and the shock are my main suspect. I am going to go it cheap and get some Gabriels for now (as recommended elsewhere in this forum...) and hopefully fix the problem. I know I got only two right now the RPO is F51 : SHOCK ABSORBERS, FRT & RR, HD

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

OK, the code in my glove box says 1Z75 and says "Front Quad Shocks". I dont know if this was there because of the trailering package or what.

3. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

this does stiffen the front a lot, i had the quad setup, and removed a set and get better articulation, and a much softer ride.

4. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I believe it's there to stop bounce when loaded.

My truck came with the plow package. Included with this plow package is the quad shocks (RPO 1Z75) and heavy duty front springs (1F60) among other things.

5. BJarvis354

BJarvis354 Registered Member

Thanks for the quick info guys! I do not have that setup and think I am thankful for that...I really do not tow that much besides the occational trip with ny brothers 20' checkmate. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Brady

6. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I'm kind of glad I have them. The front doesn't wallow or bounce like with a single shock design. I could use some new front springs though..

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

The actual reason that the truck came with dual shocks was to reduce shock fade. Both shocks together are supposed to be rated as if it was a single shock. If some one said that they had a rough ride, they must of put two regular shocks next to each other.

8. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

i was the one with the rough ride, and it requires 2 different shocks because of length.
    i forget teh brand i used, but they were about$60 each, and used what were listed
    for my app by the makers, but it makes sense to use a much softer pair, and they
    couold act as one reg shock, but 1 quality shock does a good job and its cheaper