Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stock fuel gauge work with new tank?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by roostr3269, May 14, 2002.

1. roostr3269

roostr3269 1/2 ton status

I cant seem to get the fuel gauge to work with the new tank installed. Is there something i am missing or any ideas? The tank is a 31 gallon from a '98 blazer along with sending unit. Thanx in advance.

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Duno about your tank but I bought a tank from NWMP and the stock gage does work fine with their sending unit!??
    mabie a ground wire is missing or something like that??

3. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

i am using the stock guage and a 31 gal tank from an 84, check your grounds.

ARQ.

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Seems like the tank/sender won't make any difference to the gauge as long as the operating range is 0 - 90 ohms like stock.....?

5. roostr3269

Yeah, i rechecked the grounds and they're good. Maybe somewhere in all the parts swapping, i screwed up the gauge. I guess I will do some more checking, thanx for the replies.

6. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

I'm having the same issue on my 71. I have a brand new sender and tank from LMC. My stock gauge only reads about 1/4 tank when the tank is full. I haven't really looked into it yet, but assumed I have a bad ground. If I solve it I'll let you know...and if you find the problem, please post it!
    Thx, JT

7. roostr3269

Sounds good, I am still trying to find the problem but nothin yet.

8. JMZ

JMZ Registered Member

roostr, did you try your sending unit bebore you put it in the tank? I hooked up a long ground wire on mine and made sure it worked before I put it in the tank. ZZ, are you sure your float is not hitting the side of the tank? I guess i`m lucky, I built a 38 gallon tank and a friend gave me a sending unit for a school bus, International part , and it works perfect with the stock gauge.

9. Skyetone

Skyetone 1/2 ton status

how hard is it to swap out the tank to a larger one? A buddie told me that ramchargers had a big tank... Are 80's chev blazer tanks bigger? How hard are they to swap out?

10. roostr3269

No i didnt, but i wish i did check it before i put it in, dohhhh!!!!. As far as the tank install, it fit just about perfect. It was a square 28 inches, so it fit perfect between the framerails. Maybe i better pull it and check her out, thanx.

11. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

They have a newwer style fuel sender that I bought for my big rig. It doesn't have the normal float but a long tube and the float is inside. they make different length tubes depending on the size of your tank. If they make one for our trucks you would need to know the measurement in inches from top to bottom of your tank. I don't think there's anything in it that would be a problem using it in gas not diesel.