Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stock gears with 38's??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BLzr4x4ngkid, Mar 9, 2000.

1. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

Stock gears with 38\'s??

I'm not sure what gearing I have in my '87 Jimmy, but my friend is going to sell me his 38" Gumbo Mudders. They are worn a little, but I just planned on using them till August. Then I will buy some 35's or something. Will the big tires be hard on my drivetrain?? I don't plan on doing any hard core mudding, but I don't want to have to spend money on fixing my truck if the tires will KILL it. Thanks

Alex

"What me get stuck? NEVER!!"(Famous last words)

2. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Re: Stock gears with 38\'s??

What kind of axles do you have? If they are stock, then you have the 10bolt, which is veryyy weak for to stand up to 38" tires. I heard that for the 10 bolt, it is not recommended to go beyond 32" tires, but I run 35" tires on my 12bolt and so far so good. (fingers crossed.)
    Also, about the gears, your blaze will be extremely slow off the start. I would run 4.56 gears with them tires.
    Boss

3. wnderbra

wnderbra Registered Member

Re: Stock gears with 38\'s??

I'm running 36's with 10 bolts and they had stock 3.08 gears just put in 4:10s but ran big tires for 3years and the stock gears where in excellent shape. I throw a good bit of mud but nothing real abusive except for pulling my cousins jimmy(with bald groundhawgs)out about every week.I no there not the strongest rears but you shouldnt have problems in the length of time your talkin.Just my two cents besides if they do break you can go bigger and the 38's will look cool even though they slow you down a bit.Take the chance biggers better(tires that is).FYI my cousin has 12 bolts and we've had to swap in new gears and carriers 3 times all depends on the abuse Later