Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stock Gears??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Jul 5, 2005.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

My burban has a 350/400turbohydromatic, NP 203, and 3.73 gears (open diffs I believe, and I plan on leaving them that way). Will 36x12.50 tsl's be too much tire for this gear setup. I don't plan on any crawling, all just medium speed muddin down old logging roads, and an occasional drive into town. I have known some people that ran 40's with stock gears, are they retarded, or can you get away with that much increase without gears? I've never ridden in a truck with large tires and stock gears, will it feel sick and lugged down? Any input on what I should do would be greatly appreciated.

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

youll be fine, no worries

36 aint crap, especially with 3.73 up

hell i see ppl running around with stock '80s years 2.73 10 bolt rigs and that tall of tires and no problems(street runners)

good luck

3. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

could I go bigger than 36's? I want something pretty big for the mud, but I still want the power to clean the tires.

4. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I had a 91 1/2 ton burb with 3.73's on 35's for most of its life and always felt it was underpowered and needed deeper gears.... I went through 10 bolt axles like crazy as well.... never broke a shaft just destroyed carriers and pinions I would reccomend a 14ff for a truck this heavy and no tires larger than 35 with those gears....it can be done but I wouldn't do it again