Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stock head or TBI

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazer_Boy, Dec 24, 2001.

1. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I got a 350 4-bolt tore apart on the stand and cant decide what heads to use. I'd obviously like to have Vortecs but have to find them and spend even more $$$. I have the 333882s that came with the motor but I've heard they're nothing much to talk about. We have a set of old TBI truck heads laying around and was thinking of dropping them on. Worth it or forget it?

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>The Blazer Boy Page</a>

2. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I'm pretty sure the '86 and newers all (?) have the center four intake bolts off angle from the old styles. Thats something to look at, and would need a new style intake maifold.

The TBI head should have a better chamber than the old (I think) open chamber 882 heads, so run those if you can.

Do me a favor and pop a valve off the TBI heads, if you can. Take a look inside the the valve seat area, tell me if there is a "ramp" around the valve guide boss. -
    Thanks

<font color=blue>Wow factors
    A SBC at 6,000 RPMs:
    2- The piston travels from O to 60 MPH to 0 in just .005 of a sec. and in just 7 inches.

3. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

As long as the TBI heads are in good working order I'd use them however you would have to use the intake that goes with it and then you'd have to run a TBI unit for a carb, but they may sell a backwards compatable intake.
    Buy hte Vortecs, they are only 220 assembled complete each, so you are talking 440 plus about 60 shipping for a kick ass set off heads..

Still hoping the GOV'T will ban the use of loud stereos with RAP music. [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

4. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

And you might be able to use the self-aligning rocker arms that the vortec require off the TBI heads depending on the year they came out. All the TBI heads may have come with self-aligning rockers but I cant confirm that! Hope this helps, hope I wasn't way off base!

Still hoping the GOV'T will ban the use of loud stereos with RAP music. [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

5. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

This is a typical "me" project here. I do big crap without hesitation or thinking ahead. On my Blazer, the bedside was a little funky and I couldn't get the patch work like I wanted, so I just got the drill out and took it off. I now have that on order.

My shortbox I'm doing this motor work for was bought as an adandon deal. The motor (305) was half undone and still had coolant, so it was comming out, not in (dont know why). I pulled it apart for fun and seemed to have a pi$$ poor rebuild job (had aftermarket gaskets and came apart easy). I could see the cross hatch on the bores, but they still had the lip. The chambers were super dirty, like they didn't do the rings right.

I'd really like to put vortecs on it, but am not getting much progess. My uncle has two pairs of the things up at his buddy's shop and he doesn't want to part with them. He bought some LT1 heads from a kid with a blown camaro to build some hot shot race motor and thought they would work. I kept telling him 'till I was blue in the face they wouldnt work. Then I looked up why (no intake cooling, reverse flow, different coolant holes) and now he wants to keep the cast iron vortecs for himself. I shoulda kept my mouth shut. Grrrr, I want them. I could be doing 350 daily driveable horses, oh well.

Thanks Guys

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>The Blazer Boy Page</a>