Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stock header questions!!!!!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by greg83k5, Jan 27, 2002.

1. greg83k5

greg83k5 1/2 ton status

putting the stock cast headers back on my new motor.....

passenger side has two broken studs. what's the best method for getting studs back in there? drill them out? weld something in??

driver's side header- rear port, as well as two center ports line up fine. the front acts as if the header is about 1/16th off.... bolts do not want to thread into head they wanna go in at a strippy angle....... port doesen't appear to line up perfectly...

is there a casting number on the topside of the heads that will confirm they're a matched set? they have punch marks on the back where the machinist marked them as a set....

please tell me this doesen't sound as if they're mismatched...

greg....

* keep the greasy side down *

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

If you're taling about the studs where the pipe bolts to, then I would weld an old bolt or nut to it, then heat the area around it and turn it out. If you wanna be techinically correct, they're called manifolds, but anyways. Your manifolds arent mismatched, just warped. The problem is that with all the intense heat and then cooling, they have a tendency to contract. What you do is bolt up what you can and then use a piece of body equipment called a "porta power" . Its a hydraulic unit used to move and straighten things. You stick something in between them that looks like a claw, but you pump the unit it hooks to and the claws expand open. You can put out 10 tons of force with one of those, so getting things to line back up shouldn't be too big of a problem. As long as you have acess to lots of goodies or buddies with them, then you're set.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>The Blazer Boy Page</a>

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Actually, he COULD have "cast headers" on his truck, although they were apparently stainless. Not sure when they started, but definitely available 1985/86 on CK trucks.

Anyways, heat up the manifold around the stud to glowing red, which REQUIRES an oxy/acetylene torch. If no threads left, but stub sticking up, use vise grips. If you get them on as tight as you can, but it still won't turn out, the manifold is not hot enough, plain and simple. Do NOT heat the stud, just the area ALL around it, including inside the "manifold" if possible.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

4. greg83k5

greg83k5 1/2 ton status

just so happens i own both a porta-power ( the fancy/leaky air/hydraulic kind ) and an acetylene torch....

manifold!!!!!! exhaust manifold is the right nomenclature.....

okay so i can portapower it to fit i suppose... are all the exhaust manifold bolt patterns the same from the smallest to the largest of displacements in the smallblock??? i guess so.....

one of my EXHAUST MANIFOLD studs is broken flush with the manifold it bolts into.... i guess i'll drill that ho out and re-tap a new stud in...... damn......

thanks,

greg

5. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

I just had this problem yesterday, the stud i centerpunched and drilled straight thru the center then picked out the pieces, and cleaned it up with a tap, the warping issue is just as easy, go to Kragen (Shucks, Checker, Pepboys, whatever) and get an Exhaust Manifold Spreader, mine was $12 its basically works the same as a drag link, with Left hand threads on one side right hand threads on the other, you stick it between the ports and crank the center nut with a wrench, ( i would suggest greasing the threads first though) spreads it out and you put in the bolts, if you can i would tighten up the manifold with it spread so the bolts are easier to turn all the way in.

Leland aka RaisedK5

"The Voices told me to do it!"
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.coloradok5.com/gallery/albun91>This is what they told me to do</a>

6. greg83k5

greg83k5 1/2 ton status

aw yeah.....

if only i had a forum where i could get answers like i get here for the other issues in my addled life......

thanks a million, fellas@@!!!!@!!@

greg ( my new motor is all shiny and nice.....)