Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stock height in a 74 k5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 74k5inVA, Jun 6, 2002.

1. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

ok, i just posted this in the ord forum because i thought i was in the main forum. but basically, i need to know how far is it on a stock ride from ground to bumper and/or frame. i am allowed 30" front/ 31" rear in virginia from ground to bumper or frame if bumper is dropped. i don't want to do major fender trimming but will do what most have done on here.
    i want a shackle flip, a doubler, 1 ton axles, and 38x14.4 tires. am i going to need a body lift to fit the doubler? can i stay at 30 inches with all of this? somebody told me 6 inch suspension lift and 38" tires was ok, but i didn't measure.
    TIA

2. flyndragons

flyndragons Registered Member

Actually boss,
    You only have 29" front and 30" rear to play with. I'm a resident of VA aswell. But I've also been told that there is also a tire law dealing with tires exceding the fender well. Not sure on that one though.

3. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Everywhere I've looked I have seen we are only allowed 26 front and 27 rear. I actually found that online in one of the gov sites. 27/28 if you register with truck tags.

4. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Alright... I was wrong... dang memory..

Sec. 21-130. Alteration of suspension system.
    No person shall operate upon any highway any motor vehicle registered as a passenger motor vehicle if it has been modified by alteration of its altitude from the ground to the extent that its bumpers, measured to any point on the lower edge of the main horizontal bumper bar, exclusive of any bumper guards, are not within the range of fourteen (14) inches to twenty-two (22) inches above the ground.
    Notwithstanding the foregoing provisions of this section, the range of bumper heights for motor vehicles bearing street rod license plates issued pursuant to Virginia Code section 46.2-747 shall be nine (9) to twenty-two (22) inches. No vehicle shall be modified to cause the vehicle body or chassis to come in contact with the ground, expose the fuel tank to damage from collision, or cause the wheels to come in contact with the body under normal operation. No part of the original suspension system shall be disconnected to defeat the safe operation. No part of the original suspension system shall be disconnected to defeat the safe operation of the suspension system.
    However, nothing contained in this section shall prevent the installation of heavy-duty equipment, including shock absorbers and overload springs. Nothing contained in this section shall prohibit the operation on a public highway of a motor vehicle with normal wear to the suspension system if such normal wear does not adversely affect the control of the vehicle.
    No person shall drive upon any highway any motor vehicle registered as a truck if it has been modified by alteration of its altitude from the ground to the extent that its bumpers, measured to any point on the lower edge of the main horizontal bumper bar, exclusive of any bumper guards, do not fall within the limits specified herein for its gross vehicle weight rating category. The front bumper height of trucks whose gross vehicle weight ratings are forty-five hundred (4,500) pounds or less shall be no less than fourteen (14) inches and no more than twenty-eight (28) inches, and their rear bumper height shall be no less than fourteen (14) inches and no more than twenty-eight (28) inches. The front bumper height of trucks whose gross vehicle weight ratings are four thousand five hundred one (4,501) pounds to seven thousand five hundred (7,500) pounds shall be no less than fourteen (14) inches and no more than twenty-nine (29) inches, and their rear bumper height shall be no less than fourteen (14) inches and no more than thirty (30) inches. The front bumper height of trucks whose gross vehicle weight ratings are seven thousand five hundred one (7,501) pounds to fifteen thousand (15,000) pounds shall be no less than fourteen (14) inches and no more than thirty (30) inches, and their rear bumper height shall be no less than fourteen (14) inches and no more than thirty-one (31) inches.
    Bumper height limitations contained in this section shall not apply to trucks with a gross vehicle weight rating in excess of fifteen thousand (15,000) pounds. For the purpose of this section, "truck" includes pickup and panel trucks, and "gross vehicle weight ratings" means manufacturer's gross vehicle weight ratings established for that vehicle as indicated by a number, plate, sticker, decal or other device affixed to the vehicle by its manufacturer.
    In the absence of bumpers, and in cases where bumper heights have been lowered or modified, height measurements mentioned above shall be made to the bottom of the frame rail. However, if bumper heights have been raised, height measurements under the foregoing provisions of this section shall be made to the bottom of the main horizontal bumper bar.
    No vehicle shall be operated on a public highway if it has been modified by any means so as to raise its body more than three (3) inches, in addition to any manufacturer's spacers and bushings, above the vehicle's frame rail or manufacturer's attachment points on the frame rail.
    This section shall not apply to specially designed or modified motor vehicles when driven off the public highways in races and similar events. Such motor vehicles may be lawfully towed on the highways.
    Any person who violates any provision of this section shall be guilty of a traffic infraction and shall, upon conviction thereof, be subject to a fine of not more than one hundred dollars ($100.00). (Ord. No. 1760, § 2-1-88; Ord. No. 2106, 10-15-91; Ord. No. 2232, 6-8-93)

5. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

ok, so we can squeeze by with 29 inches then right? anybody know any police officers in va that give hell over the height. my buddy got jail time b/c he was too stupid to lower his truck an inch and the same cop kept busting his ass over it. and it wasn't like he was driving crazy or dangerously, this guy was just out to get my buddy. the one time i got stopped with him there was a wreck across the street while we were pulled over and the cop didn't even go across the street to see what was going on until after he had finished writing the ticket.

6. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

ok, now on to the math of it all. if i put a 3 inch body lift, that should not matter because then they will be measuring from frame rail i believe. so if you put on a shackle flip that is four inches 38 inch tires are going to be another 19 inches, does that seem right that they would only be measuring a height of around 23 inches plus the stock height minus stock tire radius. don't know what was stock tire, but i will guess a 3o inch tire so that is 15 inch radius. so now we are sitting at 8 inches above stock. if stock were 20 inches or less we would be alright. just need to know what stock height is.

7. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Yea.. the 29" front applies to us. As far as the lift goes I think it's gonna vary from truck to truck, but even if you add a body lift they should still measure from the bumper. Are you trying to avoid hacking your fenders? I'm planning on adding a 1 or 2" body lift along with my 4" suspension and I should be able to clear 38's no problem after all the fender trimming. Heck I could probably clear 38's now simply because we don't have a whole lot of rocks around here.

8. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

i am going to trim the fenders some but i don't want to go crazy and drive around with no fenders. right now my 35's rub but i really think the lift is just shot. with 35's and a supposed 4 inch lift i am setting at about 26-27 inches that was why i am a little concerned with going to much bigger. if i trim fenders i am thinking of putting on the bushwacker cutouts so however much trimming is involved in that.