Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stock height on a 74 k5

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by 74k5inVA, Jun 6, 2002.

1. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

if anybody knows what the stock height on a k5 is from ground to bottom of bumper or from ground to frame, i would appreciate that information. I am trying to figure out what i can do in lift and tires and still stay street legal in virginia. technically since the blazer is a passenger vehicle (station wagon) i cannot lift it more than 22" from ground to bumper. but since everyone knows that it is just a truck with an extra seat the cops allow you to have it lifted as if it was a truck, so i am allowed i believe 3o inches in the front and 31 inches in the back. when it is all said in done i would like to be able to drive this on the road and not have to trailer everwhere. so here is a list, let me know what combo i can go with when it is all said and done.
    1) i am going to have 14bff/d60 axles
    2) doubler (will it require a body lift)
    3) ord shackle flip
    4)38.5X14.5 swampers or something else in that size range.

am i doomed to make something smaller? TIA

2. rich

rich 1/2 ton status

Couldn't you build something that hangs down to the legal hieght and is easily removed when you hit the trail? Don't know exactly what this would be, but it was the first idea that popped into my head when I read your post.

Or just modify the bumper mounting to mount the bumpers at the required height (lower the bumpers). But this would not look very good and would not be as good off-road as the first idea.

3. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

unfortunately if you have a drop bumper, or even an aftermarket that hangs down and looks good, they will measure from the frame, so it does no good.

4. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i dont know if this helps my front bumper is 28"s the rear is 29 1/2"s and my frame is at 24"s...i have the same axle combo you are wanting to run and i have a 4 inch lift with a nice amount of fender trimmin and have 37" inch tires..hope this helps ya /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

thanks, sounds like i'll have no problem then /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

The frame height in the center of my frame is around 28-29", depending on air pressure in the tires. That's with 15" or so ride height and 42" tires.
    Sounds like body lift won't affect your legality so I'd use a 1" or so just to help clearance.
    Do a search on "ride height" on the main board (73-87) for more height info.