Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stock Horse Power from a 400?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Blazer, Jun 25, 2003.

1. 78Blazer

78Blazer 1/2 ton status

Just wondered if anyone knew or knew where I could find out what was the stock HP rating and tourque on a 78 4 bolt main 400???

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

165HP and 210LB/Tq IIRC

hyrrah for the smog motor 70's /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

3. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    165HP and 210LB/Tq IIRC

[/ QUOTE ]
    Actually, I believe that is 175 hp. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    -Harrison

4. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

It's massive is'nt it. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    That's the old s.a.e. Net rated horsepower, actually it's quite a bit higher.

5. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    That's the old s.a.e. Net rated horsepower, actually it's quite a bit higher.

[/ QUOTE ]
    So, does that mean that my 87 is actually making a lot more than 210 hp??? And if you know, what is the torque on a 2 bolt main 87 350?
    -Harrison

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Wasn't gross HP the "old" way of measuring? That was when they tested "stock" engines on a stand with no accessories, open air cleaner, tuned headers with no muflers, etc. Then the manufacturers started measuring their stuff "as installed", with a stock air cleaner, water pump, alternator, etc., stock manifolds, stock exhaust system, stock mufflers, etc. This is net HP and is supposed to represent real world numbers. They started this change somewhere around 1970 or so, and it still continues today. So that sad 165HP can be directly compared to todays stuff that's coming off the assembly lines. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif EFI has made it possible to produce excellent power, driveability, and still have ultra-low exhaust emissions! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Wasn't gross HP the "old" way of measuring? That was when they tested "stock" engines on a stand with no accessories, open air cleaner, tuned headers with no muflers, etc. Then the manufacturers started measuring their stuff "as installed", with a stock air cleaner, water pump, alternator, etc., stock manifolds, stock exhaust system, stock mufflers, etc. This is net HP and is supposed to represent real world numbers. They started this change somewhere around 1970 or so, and it still continues today. So that sad 165HP can be directly compared to todays stuff that's coming off the assembly lines. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif EFI has made it possible to produce excellent power, driveability, and still have ultra-low exhaust emissions! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yepper's, that's how it was rated, I think all it did, was help with Insurance rate's.

8. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

400 4 bolt main blocks were only avalible in 1970-72. The 400 if it is the correct year 1n 78 would be a 2 bolt. Two bolt 400 blocks are alot stronger and better cause the 400 4 bolts have weaker bolt/clamping force on the main bearing caps cause they drilled the outer bolts into water jackets. I've seen three engines that some circle track boys ripped the crancks out of the blocks. My .02 cents /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Yeah and a 2 bolt can easily have a splayed kit added to it for much more strength. But with a 400, your pretty much limited by stroke to staying under 6000 rpm anyhow.

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    So, does that mean that my 87 is actually making a lot more than 210 hp???

[/ QUOTE ]

20% is a pretty good correction figure. Add 20% to that number and you've got gross. All thats good for is comparing it to any pre '72 published numbers.

[ QUOTE ]
    And if you know, what is the torque on a 2 bolt main 87 350?

[/ QUOTE ]

Which 87 350? Carbed, TBI or TPI, and which application? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Don't get stuck on 2/4 bolts, more than anything that was related to application, not power output. For instance, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that MOST 350 truck engines are 4 bolts (I know there are some that aren't, just guesstimating that more than 50% are 4 bolt), which make a decent amount of torque, but are designed to move a lot more weight around. Of some of the later SBC's (early 90's?) only the Corvette (in cars) was getting a 4 bolt main block, while the camaro's making just a bit less power, were still using 2 bolts.

11. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Which 87 350? Carbed, TBI or TPI, and which application? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    That 87 350 is in my K5, with tbi. Thanks.
    -Harrison

12. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    165HP and 210LB/Tq IIRC

[/ QUOTE ]
    Actually, I believe that is 175 hp. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    -Harrison

[/ QUOTE ]

175 net hp is correct for those 400 cid 4 barrel truck motors.

And 1972 was the first year for net hp ratings. The same truck 350 that was rated at 255 gross hp in 1971 was rated at 175 net hp in 1972.

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member