Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stock market?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Mar 20, 2003.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Anyone follow the market? I may be wrong, but it looks like everything is down by a higher % than usual. I'm far from an economist, but I watch the tickers everyday in my elevator at work (little news screen in the elevator).
    I wonder if it's because of the country's mixed support of this war.

2. Larry_in_Tx

Larry_in_Tx 1/2 ton status

I'm no economist myself but I think it's because the bombs started to drop a lot quicker than everyone thought. If it's a quick war the market should bounce back and more than likely regain some lost ground. If this thing drags on you can expect it to get much worse. If you watch the market pretty close you'll see it doesn't like uncertainty. That's why we had some gains after Bush gave the 24hr deadline.

You won't hear me complain about the market today. The energy sector is up a bit and that's good news in my town.

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I don't think it's due to mixed response, I think it's just that there's uncertainty - the market runs on emotion. Time to roll those stocks.

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't think it's due to mixed response, I think it's just that there's uncertainty - the market runs on emotion. Time to roll those stocks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would agree.
    Nobody knows what is going to happen....outcome (i.e. who or what will be involved) or duration. This is bound to have an effect on the Global Economy which will in turn effect our economy. War will usually help certain sections of the economy and hurt others (fact of life). Who, what, when, where, and how much will remain to be seen.

I have a feeling if this draws out, the economy will get much worse before it gets better (even for a period AFTER the troops get back). As much as it stinks, I think it is necessary.

5. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I track some strategic stocks in a nice format - do you have a website you can post daily screenshots?

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Ratch, you pretty know what you are reading when looking through the stocks and crap? I was looking at commodities (yup, the oil prices) and it had a category for "unleaded gasoline" and the prices given were just under a dollar a gallon. Am I reading that right?