Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stock motor questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MrArmyAnt, Dec 29, 2004.

1. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Texas, Kick a$$! (Grapevine, DFW; also Norman, OK)
    The 78 auto im looking at has the stock 350 with 160k miles on it (kind a high :(, but oh welll) and had a poor, meaning not high quality rebuild 40k miles ago. What was the stock horse power on these 350's? What should i expect now due to deterioration? might beable to get an lt1 from a friends wrecke3d vette [​IMG]

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

'78 with 160 k? high? hmmm, I really don't think thats too bad. My '89 has 217k on it,,,,high? still runs good, never been rebuilt. I thought the stock HP was somewhere around like 250 or so, not real sure, may be alittle less, may be alittle more.

What was "rebuilt" on it, do you know? what was replaced?

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

250 or so what ? thats funny

get stamping code off front of engine and we can find out year model hp and mains and all

wont be anywhere near 250 lol

good luck

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ah, 160K isn't bad as long as the engine was taken care of properly. What do you mean by not a "high quality" rebuild? If it was just a simple ring, hone, and bearing job than that isn't a complete rebuild but good enough to make an engine last another 100K easy.

As far as your power I would bet you are around 175HP stock, new. IIRC my spec sheet for my '85 said the stock 350 was rated at 175HP. Your '78 could be a little higher since mine was a full california emmission equipped mess.

5. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Texas, Kick a$$! (Grapevine, DFW; also Norman, OK)
    Ahh the joys of Texas, one of many is low emmision laws ;) The 78 doesnt even need a cat here, just a muffler to keep the neighbors from calling us in :O

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG]looky at these
    [​IMG]:xmas::xmas:

7. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

The truck 350's that were rated at the flywheel with no accessories and open exhaust, measurement called gross horsepower (pre 1971 or so), were rated for about 250 horsepower and 350 torque. After 1971, they were forced to take measurements at the rear wheels (net horsepower). The rear wheel horsepower for a 78 350 out of a truck is probably 165 or 175 (I suspect these were taken on an auto with the 203 full time t-case, both of which make this number even lower). Horsepower numbers today are rated at the flywheel with all accesories and exhaust connected which they call brake horsepower. These motors would probably rate around 220 bhp and a little over 300 ft. lbs., which really isn't too bad!