Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stock oil pressure gage?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Sparky, Jan 29, 2001.

1. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    When I start my truck in the mourning my oil pressure is up around 60psi (according to the guage). After a few minutes of driveing on the highway my oil pressure gets down around 30 psi at 3000 rpm. Barely in the exceptable range. The oil pump I just put in is suposedly high volume, and the oil pressure sending unit is new. Does anyone have a good way of telling if it is my gauge or something in the engine like worn crank bearings? I am thinking it is the guage because last time i pulled the rear crank bearing off it looked undamaged (about a month ago). As for the guage, it is 23 years old and the needle does not operate smooth. Instead of moving steady it seems to go up in incraments. Seems like it catches at certain points. How do I check my gauge before I go spending money on a new one. Where can I get a new factory oil pressure gage? Thanks again.

Sparky

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Hook up a mechanical gauge to the block somewhere, if not for just temporary use. I wouldn't consider "30psi barely acceptable", as I drove a GM motor around with 5psi at warm idle for 2 years, and it STILL didn't fail.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html>http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html</A>

3. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    where can i get a mechanical gage? Do any autoparts stores have a tool loan program for them?

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You should be able to pick up a cheap oil gauge from any auto parts store. Better yet would be an expensive one borrowed from a friend : ) IMO the stock gauges (besides tach) are relative...if anything changes beyond what it NORMALLY runs (as in all of a sudden 0psi when running, or 260 degrees) thats when to get concerned.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html>http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html</A>

5. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I have a stock mechanical oil pressure guage in mine. Love it, never worry about senders - it's the real pressure.
    -- Mike

6. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

What if I wanted to keep my stock one and add a mechanical one also... Can you ahev both of them???

Um... yes officer I know it's too big...

7. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Shouldn't be any problem, you just have to add a 1/4" NPT tee underneath the factory sender. Then plumb your mechanical through the firewall to wherever you put the gauge. (Make sure to use Teflon tape on all the threads, I learned the hard way) :)

8. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

A high volume will not increase the oil pressure, only the amount of oil going through the engine. Your oil pressure sounds fine to me.

9. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

If you use the STOCK mech. oil pressure guage, I hope you also get the stock metal tubing for it. I tried to find someone to make some for me because I have a cracked one, and no one culd make it.
    -- Mike