Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stock or 1.6 rockers?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jonny-K5, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i want to boost the power in my 65 street truck. it has a fresh 355 , basically stock w/ a performer intake and isky cam.spec are 262 adv. duration(dont know what the .050 duration is).435 lift and 108* lobe centerline. i'd like a bigger cam and some AFR sportsman heads, but i dont wanna tear into the shortblock since its basically brand new.is it worth it to go with 1.6 roller rockers? would i notice much difference w/ the stock heads? what about with the AFR's? thanks:D

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

if you were just replacing the rockers with stamped 1.6s, no. since you're upgrading the cam, and going to roller rockers, i dont see how it could hurt with the extra lift. call Comp or Crane for a cam recomendation specifically for your combo. their cam profiles are much more advanced than something Isky would have.

3. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

If you have press in studs on your current heads then you need to get a self aligning rocker or comps replacement roller tip rocker. The reason why is because you have no way to mount pushrod guide plates. AFR heads are good just not cheap:frown1:
    I am confused about one thing, this is a new motor why didn't you build it the way you wanted it in the first place. I'm not trying to flame you, just that the cam price couldn't have much different at the time it got put togther. Or was this a cam that you had/ got real cheap? It really sucks to get it running and realize the all the effort only got half the job done.
    Whats the compression ratio? If its under 9.2-1 then going to 1.6 rockers won't gain you much. With only.435 lift at the valve I think you will be happier going to a bigger cam no matter what heads you have. Swap the cam, you'll be happier in the long run, good luck.
    George

4. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i bought the engine complete carb to pan from someone else,with about 2hrs on it. at first i thought it would be a great way to get my truck rolling. it runs great, but i want more power. im wondering whether i can boost the power by doing a head/lifter swap, or if i have to pull the cam. motor has around 8-9 to 1 comp. ill probly just leave this setup alone, since its a good combo for a mild stocker. then either go w/ a bigblock or rebuild a 4bolt350 i've got laying around.

wouldnt going to 1.6 rockers essentially make the motor see more lift and duration, essentially feel like a slightly bigger cam?or will it just increase lift?

btw i wasnt thinking of replacing the cam and rockers, it was either or. well time for bed, hard time seeing straight.:grin:

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

it will also increase the duration, although i'm not sure by how much.

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Not worth it IMHO. But if you like throwing money at your engine go ahead. Might see 5 Hp gain and a little more torque. You would be better off saving the money and getting the AFR heads. Then play around with the RA Ratio.
    Also you need to know if 1.6s will work with your cam. There may be piston to valve issues and coil bind to think about.