Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stock or modified?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rrent, Oct 9, 2002.

1. rrent

rrent 1/2 ton status

I'm going to be spraying paint on my '72 soon. Can't decide between repainting the bottom baby poop yellow, leaving the top stock white, and putting on the period correct wood grain chrome side/tailgate molding OR painting the body and top bright (most likely '77 Corvette) yellow and tinting out the back windows, maybe throwing a rack on the top.

Either way I will probably be selling my Kayline soft top and planning on putting in an AC for next summer. I bought it here used a year or so ago and have since had new zippers put in and will fix the 4 or 5 missing snaps. I’ll give you guys first shot at it before putting it on ebay. Will probably be looking for $300.00 plus $25.00 for freight.

Let me know whether you think I should go stock or let-my-put-on-my-sunglasses <font color="yellow"> YELLOW </font color> .

2. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

It's your truck. You have to look at it. Are you trying to do a correct restore or just trying to paint it? If you are trying a correct restore the answer is obvious. If you are just trying to paint it, it will be what ever pleases your eyes.

John

3. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

I like the baby poop but I also like custom paint jobs. I wouldn't worry too much about stock paint unless you are going 100% stock. Paint is fairly easy to change back.

Look how nice they are in bright yellow!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not sure if this one is the Orche or custom color
    [​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Ronnie,

My truck was that same color originally too! I looked at the pics of your truck on your website, and the truck looks really clean and nice already.

I'd be tempted to stick with the factory color due to the difficulty in REALLY changing everything to a new color (firewall, underhood, interior, door jambs, etc). If you want to change the color, it might be cool to still stick with a "period correct" color from GM. Sometimes seeing "modern" paint colors on classic cars is weird.....using an old Corvette color, or something like that would be interesting and unique without being out of place on a classic K5. IMHO /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I go back and forth about the side mouldings, but currently I think I want to put the standard black ones back on my truck at some point. It's a nice styling accent, and the body can look too plain without them....

5. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

paint it what you want.i dont really like the side moldings.just something else to get ripped off four bying.mone i just filled in the holes and am currently leaving mine primer till i get the money for paint.i have too many other projects before i think of paint.

6. rrent

rrent 1/2 ton status

bouncytruck - I like that pic with the painted top.

I guess I'll make up my mine at some point before I strap on the mask and start spraying. Today I was thinking about orange with a couple of resonably wide black and white checker board stripes down the hood and maybe a checker board square on a smooth tailgate.......

7. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

The truck with the yellow top was on ebay a long time ago. They smoothed the top, it had front and rear roll pans, the round fuel door and they filled the tail light holes and put in lights in the rear roll pan. Not really my favorite, but they did a nice job.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

I'd put a flame job on the hood and down to the doors.

9. rrent

rrent 1/2 ton status

jeffro - I made a few extra bucks back in high school flaming motor cycle tanks and helmets for friends. Don't know if I'm up the straightening needed to get the Blazer smooth enough for black and the multiple coats to get the flames jsut right. Cause if you're gonna have flames - they gotta be white/yellow/orange/red over black.......