Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stock pinion angle?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dyeager535, Mar 28, 2005.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Installed the (modified) 14SF in my truck the other day, thought the pinion was pointing up a bit higher than I noticed with the 10 bolt.

Took it out, and measured it against a 12 bolt housing I have, and "eyeballed" the angle of the 12 against the 10 bolt that just came out of it.

Leveled the housing using the stock 12 bolt spring perches, then an angle finder on the snout of the carrier housing, since there is no pinion. Came up with 9*. Looked about the same as the 10 bolt.

Did the same on the 14SF (but on the yoke flats) and came up with about 18*. Obviously this is more than stock, the shoddily welded perches clued me in to that. :)

Then eyeballed the stock 14FF in my dads K20, and it looks to be about 0*.

I'm sure that measuring without the axle installed in the truck leaves variables that won't allow finding the ACTUAL pinion angle, (spring perches probably aren't level as installed) but it would SEEM that based on application, the stock pinion angle was changed. (again using 12 bolt and 14FF angles as gauges) I find that hard to believe, but for optimum angle, that would HAVE to change between something like a K5 and a 1/2 ton 2wd Suburban, no?

Now that the axle is back in the truck, I haven't been able to measure pinion angle, but I can tell that it is substantially more than the stock 10 or 12 bolt I have. With losing about 4.5" of driveshaft with the longer tranny/t-case combo, and the "longer" pinion on the 14SF, I'm sure more angle is better, but this might be too much.

Probably run it as is and see, but curious as to what others thoughts are on this? Never really paid attention to how much stock pinion angles were until this...