Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stock posi VS Auburn limited slip

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sb7979, Jul 25, 2001.

1. sb7979

sb7979 Registered Member

My 82 Jimmy has a factory posi unit. How does that compare to an Auburn Limited Slip diff? My local shop tells me there's a world of differences in strength and function, but they look so darn similar. I don't want to spend $350 on something that is basically the same as what I have, and I am not sure I want a full blown locker.
    Also, does anyone know if the stock posi that I have can be rebuilt? Is that possible, because they (local shop) avoided that question by suggesting I buy an Auburn.

Thanks
    Scott

2. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Something does not sound right ! Run away from that shop !!
    FYI The Auburn Limited Slip Diff. is not rebuildable, and it will wear out, YMMV(your milage may vary).
    You need to give us more information on your use/tire size .
    Do you currently have an Eaton Gov-Lock ?

3. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Well, the Auburn is not rebuildable but it will be alot stronger than the stock one. Auburn sells 2 different ones. One as an OEM replacement and another that is alot beefy-er with clutch springs rated at like 800 ft lbs or somewhere in that ball park.

Beer!!!! Its not just for breakfast anymore!!.[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

4. sb7979

sb7979 Registered Member

I am running 32s now, probably 33s soon. I am in the process of installing new gears, 4.56s. Its use is for average amounts of off road of average difficulty. Nothing severe. It is also my winter driver. I'm not sure if the unit that is in there is a gov lock or what. It looks very similar to the pictures of the Auburn I've seen. Is there a way to tell what it is and if it's rebuildable?

Thanks.
    Scott

5. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Well, the gov-lock has allllllll sorts of gadgets inside it, beisde springs and cluthc plates. IT should look alot different than a LSD.
    As far as what kind it is, you probably have to pull it out and look for some sorta Manufactures markings or emblem.
    You may be able to rotate it still in the rear and be able to find something. Even maybe a part number of some sort and then post it on here and see if anyone can cross-reference the numbers.
    4.56 gears sound offly high for 33's tires, less your running an over drive tranny. I'd look more like 4.10's with 33's w/ overdrive and thats what I have and it is a perfect match, off-road, city, highway, etc.....
    I have an Auburn, 33's muds, and 4.10 and I can get the big Ol SOB sideways turning from a stop. SO the 4.10's are plenty. Hope this all helps.

Beer!!!! Its not just for breakfast anymore!!.[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

6. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    If you can, show us a high quailty picture(S), and someone can i.d. what you have.
    FYI the eaton gov-lock, and the eairer eaton(four springs) are most surely rebuilable, some of the eaton
    gov-lok parts maybe $$$$, but you can get them easily.
    It sounds like you want to speed some money and up-grade, I would suggest the new eaton with the carbon fiber
    clucthes. Mail order it for around $365.00, and slap it on.
    Good luck

7. sb7979

sb7979 Registered Member

Here is a link to some pics of the stock (?) posi unit I have now. Is this a gov lock, or something else, oe what? There is a number on the plate (by the springs), it is 504008. There is also a number on the carrier, it is K2 15 13. Hope this link works...

http://pak01.pictures.aol.com/NASAp...=996115516798&amp;filmId=6775.17.996114913587

I don't know how to make this an automatic link, or if it will even work if you cut and paste it. How do you do that on this board?

Thanks
    Scott