Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stock quad frt. shocks

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k5wantabe, Oct 17, 2001.

1. k5wantabe

k5wantabe Registered Member

I currently have the front quad shocks.(original) Will be replacing them when I get new tires. What are the advantages of quad front? and is it worth keeping or should I just go to two?.(sure would be cheaper) Though about running rancho 9000 in back to be able to adjust from towing to regular driveing. Front will not be the 9000's (can't afford it and don't think it's necessary to have the front adjustable. So what does everyone think? I've had the jimmy for about a month, love it and have gotten a lot of great info from this site. Keep up the good work. Also if I do go to two which set should I use?

'88 Jimmy 350/700r4 3.73's 32in Maypops

2. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

My Blazer has the stock quad setup too. I ended up putting one RS9000 at each corner and love them. The ride is much smoother with one shock at each corner; but this is probably due to the shocks that were on there when I bought it.

If you stick with the dual setup, be sure to get the shocks that are designed to work together. Don't just throw 2 shocks designed for a single config at each corner.

All the shock does is stop the spring from 'springing'. So, you hit a bump, the spring compresses, and the shock allows the spring to return to it's riding position without bouncing you all over.

The dual setup seems to be a pretty harsh ride unless you match the shocks exactly to each other and the spring. The shocks designed for dual setups, split the load between the two, but should still give you the same amount of dampening.

My recommendation would be to buy 2 quality shocks, one for each side. It's cheaper, and less work to do [​IMG]

Unless you plan on BaJa racing, where the shocks are gonna get real hot from the constant beating. Dual shocks will share the load, therefore sharing the heat produced. But normal driving, and normal off-roading won't produce this kind of heat.

Thomas.

-- '84 1-Ton Blazer --
    When the goin' gets tough,
    the tough go 1-Ton [​IMG]

3. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I would just stick to one good shock at each corner. I have the 9000s in front, love them. My buddy in college had the quad shock setup, his rode MUCH stiffer than mine. I think the 9000s pay for themselves as soon as you see how great they work in different roles.

4. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I just took my dual shocks off about 3 months ago and it made a BIG difference in ride quality. I now run ProComp shocks front and rear and I am extremely happy with the ride.

<font color=blue>Esteban</font color=blue>

<font color=red></font color=red>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Estebans-album>Take A Gander At My Truck Here.</a>

5. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i have brand new rs 5000s (dual front) good shocks but when you have 4 on the front, it's stiff! i would eliminate the second pair but my dad bought em so he would be mad.

donate to the "Build Scott's Suburban Foundation"
    scott,
    1989 GMC suburban 3/4t 4" lift soon to be rollin on 36" swampers, tbi350, th350, np241

6. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

I've got dual rancho 5000's at each corner and I love the ride. Like was said earlier, you just have to get shocks valved for dual setups.

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!! [​IMG]

7. fright89

fright89 1/2 ton status

i had the two up front on each side and replaced them with one 9000, real nice ride. i do miss the look of two but you do need to be carfull to get the right ones. i did here of drilling a hole in an old shock to render it usless and put that on as a seckond to get the look