Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stock radio removal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chalet 170, May 15, 2002.

1. Chalet 170

Chalet 170 Registered Member

I have a 76 Blazer, I have been trying to remove the factory radio.....no luck. Is there a trick or special angle?

Thanks
    Doug

2. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Should be really easy, can't remember exactly how, it has been a while, but there should be some nuts on the knobs, and maybe a strap on the rear. - Doug

3. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

pull knobs off...take nuts off...you might have a strap in the rear might now...push radio back out of dash...thats it

Later

4. Chalet 170

I've done all of that. I t still won't slide down the back/bottom of the dash. What is the trick to that? Seems like there is not enough room.

Doug

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

That's one of them honker big chassis radios I bet. Might even be an 8 track /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Your proably hitting the bracket next to the gas peddle trying to get that out. I think you can unbolt that bracket from the fire wall and the radio should just fall out.
    WOW another Chalet Guy. By the way you list the number in your sig I guess you have already talked with our resident and worlds most knowledgable Chalet guy, AZBLAZER and registered it with him. Too weird that your both named Doug LOL.
    Welcome to CK5!

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Does the rig have a/c? If so, then you have to first remove the air plenum that runs from the center air box over to the drivers side air vent. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif It's a mutha to wrestle it out of there, but twist it just right and it will come out. Then you'll have much more room to get the radio out.

7. Chalet 170

It does have AC. I will try these methods when I get home tonight. After that it will be time to break out the hammer.

8. Chalet 170

No 8 track. Just an AM radio. I have spoken with Doug. I had some knowledge of the Chalet prior to buying mine. May parents had one back in the early 80s. We used it for a lot of camping trips. I always said I would have one someday. And now I do.

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

There's a small metal bracket on the air plenum, over near the steering column. It holds the plenum in place with just a single screw to the dash. Remove the screw and then you can work the plenum out from under the dash. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

10. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

yeah that thing is a pain in the a$$ to mess with...i had a bunch of trouble trying to get it back in

Later