Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stock rear bumper

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rrent, May 19, 2003.

1. rrent

rrent 1/2 ton status

While I had the back bumper off for painting I added a receive hitch (I cut up one from an unknow vehicle that fit inside the trame rails). It sits high enough that I will have to cut the bottom of the bumper for the verticals for the hitch and possibly even a little across the center of the bottom for the horizontal piece. I figure for a little extra strength I'll keep this cut close enough so I can have the bottom of the bumper welded to the verticals of the hitch.

does anyone know of a price much better thans LMC's $99.95?

I'll also be putting a couple of backup lights in license plate cut-out and relocating the license plate - I'm thinking now of relocating the plate to a cut out on a new letter-less tailgate.

I'll add a link to this post after I take and upload a couple of pics of this setup.

thanks in advance
    Ronnie

nice try /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

2. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

I think that it is GREG72 that has the hidden receiver hitch. His license plate flips up to reveil the hitch. Very slick!

Check out the The Truck Shop. They usually have very good prices.

3. rrent

rrent 1/2 ton status

I've seen his pics - very clean setup -- mine is about 6" under the frame rails and extends 4 to 6" towards the back from his location.

The Truck shop does have good prices - but for the rear bumper they have anything you want as long as you want chrome - no painted.

4. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I have two rear bumpers laying around if you want one...and like you I want a front bumper unpainted and the Truck Shop dosen't have them, I think I'll run into that place and see whats up with that...

[​IMG]

my new bumper... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[​IMG]

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Post some pics if you can.....I'm a little confused by your description, but I'd like to help you figure out a solution if I can.

BTW-> My solution was going to be a "flip up" style plate, but I went with a simpler "receiver style" mount for my plate instead. I was concerned about the plate getting mangled if the towstrap was ever at an odd angle during a recovery.....

6. rrent

rrent 1/2 ton status

Greetings -- I posted some pics (link below) -- if you will think of the horizontal bar part of the hitch and measure it from one of the center bumper mounting bolt holes ---- it extends 3" away (to the rear) from the truck and at it closest point is 2" below. This will work great, except for the fact that the way the bumper rolls under on the bottom it will contact the uprights and a portion of this horizontal bar.

So the plan (as it stands now) is to cut and then bolt on a painted bumper to fit tight against this hitch -- and then have the two welded together so that the hitch and bumper are one totally bolted on assembly. I'll have to relocate the license and use the place where the license was (which will be to sort now to house the license for a couple of back up lights.

Other ideas were/are to use a some 3" (or it might be 4") .25" wall square tubing as two bumperettes mounted to the brackets on either side --- difficulty with this is mounting to the bumper bolts holes which are at a weird angle --

so in other words the back of my truck is a work in progress -- ideas are always welcome.

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/rrenthome/lst?.dir=/Blazerpics&.order=&.view=l&.src=bc&.done=http%3a//briefcase.yahoo.com/