Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stock rear shacke... flipped

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Topdown, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

Anyone run a stock rear spring hanger/shackle flipped?

I dont mean running a shackle upside down through hole cut in the hanger, I mean has anyone cut off the shackle mount, flipped it and bolted it back on using the existing stock shackle?

Obviously I am working on a low/no budget project... that the previous owner claims to have a 6" lift rear spring (I dont believe it - more likely it HAD a 6" rear block)

Anyway... I dont want to run a block. So, if anyone has pics, send them my way.

If there is a major issue as to why this wouldnt work, I am all ears.

2. sublmnl1990

sublmnl1990 1/2 ton status

I THINK IT WOULD STICK UP ABOVE THE FRAME INTO THE BODY.

3. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

hmm... luckily I wont be running a body in the rear so thats not much of a concern. but in looking at it, it almost looks like it would net 1-2 inches of lift and only cost what 6 grade-8 bolts would cost.

does anyone have any real world experience with this?

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

It will not give you lift. In fact it will lower the truck 1". Look at the bracket and the shackle. The shackle is lined up with the 2 bottom holes on the bracket. This is about even with the bottom of the frame rail. Now flip the bracket over and the shackle would be in line with the top of the frame rail. Thus you lose 1-2" of suspension height. Cutting a hole int he shackle mount costs you $0 I don't see why spending money on new bolts and losing lift is better :dunno: At the most when you cut the hole and flip the shackle you need to get a new shackle bolt and bushing if yours are shot. But if yours are shot you should replace them no matter what you do.

5. nomadman

nomadman 1/2 ton status

How about using a 2WD rear spring front hanger instead. I've heard this is a good alternative to buying a ORD kit. I'm not sure of the resulting height though. Maybe another member can shed light on that.....

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

That will work....or a longer tension shackle.

7. nomadman

nomadman 1/2 ton status

Will they give lift over stock height? How much?

8. nomadman

nomadman 1/2 ton status

Another question: does a shackle flip used to get lift ride better than stock hanger config and blocks? I would like to get the best ride possible. Even with TC EZ Rides up front, the ride is pretty bouncy. I have a set of 2WD rear spring front hangers, just would like to know what to expect b4 going to the effort to convert over.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

what are you running for shocks? bouncy is often worn springs or bad shocks. Don't have experience with shackle flip vs blocks to answer your question.

10. nomadman

nomadman 1/2 ton status

Not exactly sure of brand, they came w/ the K5 when I bought it. All gas charged, duals on front with 4" TC EZ Rides (3 leaves) up front, blocks in rear. Lift was fairly new, shocks seem in good condition. If I jump up and down on the front bumper I (210 lbs) can barely get it to move - very stiff. Any help would be appreciated.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Sounds just like stiff springs to me.

12. nomadman

nomadman 1/2 ton status

I thought the EZ Rides were supposed to be 'soft'. Is it possible for the shackles to bind enough to make that much difference?

13. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

:haha:

EZ Rides are NOT easy. I can attest to that. I have a set of EZ Ride HD's in the front of my truck. They are pretty stiff, especially until I started flexing the piss out of the truck. They softened up a little then. I know I know, but you have HD's. I have a Warn 12000 winch on the front of my truck (120lbs) and a winch bumper (probably another 60+) and it still is stiff.

There is no "soft" spring from aftermarket manufacturers unless it is a custom spring from Alcan, Deaver, etc.

Dual shocks in the front won't help the suspension's soft feeling any either.

Harley

14. nomadman

nomadman 1/2 ton status

Any other comments on EZ Rides and how your K5 rides on the street? Is the bouncy ride a resultant of the K5's short wheelbase or are they the same on a P/U?

15. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Anytime you lengthen and arch a spring with only a few thick leaves for more lift you will get a stiffer ride. Custom springs usually use many thin leaves to make the ride and flex the best but like was said, mass produced aftermarket springs are stiff. EZ rides are about the best IMO unless you go custom. Remove a shock in the front on each side and try that next.

16. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i'd take off a set of those front shocks as well. felt the difference in my truck.

i've been told that the front shackle angle is part of the problem with stiff front ends. if your shackle is straight up and down it will bind up some.
    you can move the upper mount forward fairly easily with some drilling and get closer to a 45* angle. havent tried it yet butbut i've heard it works great.

17. nomadman

nomadman 1/2 ton status

I tried the 1 shock up front and didn't really notice any difference. I'l bet I could take off both shocks and not notice any change. I'm thinking of trying ORD's greaseable shackle kit. When I called TCI, they said to be sure the shackles aren't over torqued - should only be 30-35 ft lbs. Somehow, I think I probably tightened them more than that. Maybe I'll have to spring (HA HA) for custom made ones to cure this issue. Any idea what they run $$ ?

18. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

remove your sway bar

19. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Ryan, use a set of forward rear spring hangers on the back and you will get at least 4" lift. They are easy and cheap to come by and would do what you want. Only thing after that is to fix the pinion angle though.

20. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

you dont have to use 2wd hangers do you? didnt think there was a difference.