Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stock Rev limiter on a 90 or what.....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by GRINCH, May 29, 2003.

1. GRINCH

GRINCH 1/2 ton status

Went racing this past weekend at our 3 day Rally and half way down the track (300 Ft.) the engine dies. It feels like a rev limiter or running out of gas. So the second run it does it again and I let off and put it back to the floor and same thing.

I was running in 4 lo. My specs. 90 Blazer, 96 350 Crate with Vortec Heads. Edelbrock Multi Port Fuel Injection, MSD Pro billet distributor, MSD box without rev limiter, I also have a newer fuel filter on it. I did have my tach disconnected so I don't know the RPMs I was running at.

I ran this same track last year with the same set up and did well.

I still ended up with second but the drop outs are making me wonder what is happening???

2. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

my teacher would say yea, weak valve springs, that is the rev limiter, i will be honest, i got pissed one time and did a burnout and i have a tach and it is connected, got it up to 5500 rpm and held it there for 5 seconds, i wasnt happy, i felt bad after doing it, but i dont think my truck has a rev limiter. and i think the computer might limit it, but im not sure. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

My truck just starts sputterin and missin when it gets above 5k. I think its because of the weak top end that is only rated for 4500 RPM

4. GRINCH

GRINCH 1/2 ton status

TTT..

It didn't just sputter.. It was like I took my foot off the gas but I didn't.

5. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I don't think they had rev limiters but your spark plugs and/or wires and/or coil can cause it to fall on its face. It doesn't seem like you've got any of the original electronics anyway with MSD taking care of your ignition and the Edelbrock MPFI taking care of the rest...

It could be your valves floating but this is highly unlikely with stock Vortec heads in my opinion unless you're running a wild cam. I have valvesprings from 1984 with .020" shims under them and I've taken my motor past 6,000rpm a few times (tach only goes to 6k). I get nervous at 5500rpm (because of the antique valvesprings) but sometimes you have to put rice in its place. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Oh, and your fuel pump could not be providing enough flow at 6,000rpm at the rated pressure. At that speed you'll need about 30gph which doesn't seem like much but the instantaneous demand of fuel can cause a pressure drop which will make it fall flat on its face.

I'd try to get it to do it again and immediately slow down, turn it off, and pull a few spark plugs. If they look cooked then you're probably running out of petrol.

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i did that when i got mad to lol..kind of hard to burn out in my truck though..either an auto..but iv made hast going down the street befor when i wasnt so happy lol..