Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stock roll bar integrated......

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazerpro79, May 16, 2005.

1. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

stock roll bar... people keep saying there is a stock roll bar in the truck... well i havnt seen this and ive cut my cab and welded in new panels... anyone seen theirs???

2. stick

stick Registered Member

maybe they are talking about the thickness in that area . when i chopped mine it seemed alot harder to cut there. no actual roll bar though. :dunno:

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Just double walled there , thats all .

4. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

[​IMG]
    Not much there that can be called a Rollbar!

5. blazerpro79

ya exactly the double layer but even on this site... they say it does on the specs page...
    http://coloradok5.com/specs.shtml

6. Dandwg

Dandwg 1/2 ton status

You cut it just to look didn't you?

lol.

Damn I want a sawzall

7. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

The factory paperwork talks about this:

"For 1976, all Blazers have a steel half top with a built-in roll bar. An integral part of the roof construction, this sturdy bar has a flat shape which provides more interior space than conventional tubular roll bars."

I think what they meant to say was

"We no longer use that fiberglass roof that leaks all the damn time, and the steel has a lip and is strong. Really."

:haha:

Marketing drivel, basically. The "roll bar" is just the back edge of the cab, IMHO.

-- A

8. blazerpro79

how stupid... wheni read that a few months ago i was pretty excited.. then i cut a beam out of a donor, to repair some rust and said what the hell.

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If I'm not mistaken, that was part of rollover protection standards (just like the almost total disappearance of convertibles for quite awhile) and I'm sure it has to bear the weight of the vehicle.

Probably not up to the standards necessary to protect in a roll down a hill, however if the rig gets flipped over on it's top, on the freeway, it likely does a fair job of keeping the passenger compartment from getting too small. (at least the bare minimum of federal standards at that time lol)

The rear of the fiberglass top also has metal reinforcement, no idea if that is also part of that, or just something to stiffen the top and rear of the truck.

10. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

What ever you want to call it, it works, this one rolled three times. and all occupants were not seriously injured.
    [​IMG]

11. blazerpro79

there are non convertable blazers?

12. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I have seen quite a few blazers roll on this site, and the factory "roll bar" has held up pretty well. The trouble spot for blazers (and most cars) in a rollover, is where the windshield meets the cab in the corners. Not too much strength there.
    -Harrison

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

agreed... thats why Im chopping the metal half cab an attaching whats left to a full cage. :)

j

14. captaininsano

captaininsano 1/2 ton status

Reviving this thread to ask a question about an idea I have. I need a roll bar that protects just the front driver/passenger. (No more rear seat) I have a '78 with the "integrated bar". I am on a budget, don't have access to a bender right now, and don't want one of the pre-fabbed cages, cost and shipping charges suck. (I'm paying for a wedding right now so no truck duckets!)

I just bought 20' of 2" OD x .120 wall HREW and 6' 1/4" x 6" steel plate.

My idea is to reinforce the existing built in roll bar by triangulating it to the floor/frame with straight pieces of tube, angled down from the corners and back up to the center as well. The brace will be beefy for sure. My question I guess is if I tie into the frame through the floor will this cause any issues when I flex? Currently the truck creaks and cracks when flexed hard? Will this damage the frame at all, or just stiffen the body up some? :confused:

15. dremu

Slight hijack: Where'd you get the steel? (and where in the Bay area ya?)

With today's prices, that can't have been cheap! I just got some bits to work onto my cage at Alco in San Leandro, and they don't give steel away.

-- A

16. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

yeah i can attest to that because it was my blazer. boy that was a wild ride.

17. captaininsano

captaininsano 1/2 ton status

I hope to never find out! :bow:

I've flopped and such, but I don't want to ever roll multi times, but if it happens I want to be able to post pics later!

As for the steel I got it from http://www.metalsupermarkets.com/

Not the cheapest, but not bad for the bay. I ended up getting 20' 2"x.120 HREW and 6' 6"x1/4" steel plate for the roof and floor plates for 100 bucks.

The thing about MetalSuperMarkets is there service, great service (at least the one in Redwood City), and you can get whatever with no minimum. I bought 1 foot of 1.75 DOM for my hydro install. Cost me 6 bucks. :D Not super cheap but try finding a place with tons of stock that will sell ya 1 foot. hehe

18. dremu

Sweet. Thanks for the tip -- I happened to be @ my company's HQ in Redwood Shores this week, so it was a quickie trip down there. Nice folks, you're right. Not cheap, but MUCH less evil than Alco in San Leandro ... I'll prolly frequent the Hayward one.

-- A