Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stock Single or Dual Front Shock Mounts

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mr Red, Mar 22, 2000.

1. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

Found both front shock mounts broke. Getting ready to replace them & got to think'n (yikes). Prior owner had dual shocks installed installed with the small single (?) stock shock mounts. Could that have contributed to their demise? Now I'm thinking, since I gotta do this anyway, should I put in shock mounts designed for two shocks on each side? LMC shows two brackets per side on quad s/u. The ones that broke and a second bracket for each side. What do you guys think????

Anyone done this? Brake & fuel lines run down the inside frame on passg. side so an "other than stock" install might be dicey.

Thanks,
    <font color=red>David, '86 K5</font color=red>

2. DangerB

DangerB 1/2 ton status

You could put another set attached to the outer axle by the others and then to the center point between the frame on top. I dont know if anyone has done this in the front, but it seems like a good idea. Probably releive alot of stress on the others.

DangerBrett[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>life is a race, you have to look good and go fast!</font color=blue>

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

How big are your tires?
    If you are not going above 35" then a good single shock like a Rancho 9000 will work fine. Two shock setups are not allways a good idea. It sounds like the previous installer was going for looks and not function. So if you go with two shock setup reseach the idea and don't get two supper stiff shocks. Some setups I've seen even have 'dummy' shocks installed! Thease are shocks that can be pushed in by a small child! Kinda scarry what people will do for looks!
    Good luck
    Burt4x4

Rock ON!