Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stock spare mount

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BowtieBlazer, Aug 23, 2001.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Anyone have pics of the way the spare carrier mounts in the stock position in their k-5? When I bought mine it had the carier in it but not mounted and I'm not exactly sure how it should look...if its all in one piece... seems like a support is missing.......thanks in advance

1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer
    1982 Chevy C-10 Longbed

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I don't have a pic, but the main piece is sort of like a "U". One end bolts to the floor not too far out from the gas fill bump and the other end mounts to a hole in the wheel well. Then there is a small piece that connects to the top of the spare mount, just above where the tire mounts and connects to the closest hardtop mounting bolt.

<font color=green>If a K-5 is "Built not Bought", why does this stuff cost me so much money? [​IMG] </font color=green>

3. BowtieBlazer

okay cool i think i got teh metal picture...i'm about to go look...thanks for the help...anyone else got pics?

1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer
    1982 Chevy C-10 Longbed

4. 88streetblaze

88streetblaze 1/2 ton status

get a lmc catalog they have decent pics for all of their parts that they sell , so you could use that as a referance, and it is free

someone will have the website add. so you can get one online.

<font color=red> and everybody knows that the world is full of stupid people</font color=red>

5. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

Let me know if you still need pics. I will use my funky new digital camera and e-mail them to ya. PM me if you need them.....

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.moabdadc22.alloffroad.com/>http://www.moabdadc22.alloffroad.com/</a>Real four wheelers don't need tools to remove body panels, paint, tail lights..etc.

6. BowtieBlazer

Thanks everyone for the replies...and thanks for the digital pic offer...I never really thought about looking through the LMC catalog...i"m about to go check...I figured out how everything should mount up but I am missing the fenderwell mounting bolt and the floorboard bolt...so i guess i need to check LMC for the size and make a trip to the hardware store...
    Also does anyone know at what size tires stop fitting on these mounts? Seems like my 31 10.50 is even going to have trouble fitting

P.S. no one laugh at the tire size ;) i bought it like that....going to 33's or 35's soon

1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer
    1982 Chevy C-10 Longbed

7. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I was able to mount a larger tire (295/75-16) on mine but had to reverse the rim to get it in. I also ended up cutting a 1" thick piece of wood to cover the center hole since I have gone to 8 lug rims. As long as everything's kept tight I don't get any noises.

Smitty

8. blackdog

blackdog Registered Member

<font color=black>I just removed mine to begin some interior work, and the upper part was screwed under one of the cap mounting bolts. Don't know if it was supposed to be there, but it was working. Right now, I'm just trying to figure out a cheap way to get the spare OUTSIDE the vehicle...

<font color=black> "Where did all these people come from, and how soon can they leave..."
    -OLD 97's</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.k5.batcave.net>www.k5.batcave.net</a>

9. BowtieBlazer

just flipped through LMC didnt see that particular mount for the blazer ...
    Blackdog or anyone else if you get a second could you put a wrench up to one of the spare tire mounts and give me the size so i can get some replacements

1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer
    1982 Chevy C-10 Longbed

10. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

I have a 32 x 11.5 mounted there with no problem.

Black 1980 GMC Jimmy
    350-TH350-NP205
    Dual glasspacks

11. BowtieBlazer

6 lug 15inch rim?

1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer
    1982 Chevy C-10 Longbed<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by BowtieBlazer on 08/23/01 06:34 PM.</FONT></P>

12. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I had a 33X12.50 on mine - it took a little engineering to make it work, but it fit.

Dos mas Tecates!!!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

13. 90idahoblazer

90idahoblazer 1/2 ton status

My rig came stock w/31's....should be no problem...I wont laugh at your 31" tires...thats what I have...and guess what ? I have 120,000 miles on my rig....no tranny probs and no engine probs....so there is somthing to be said about stock enginering....

14. blackdog

blackdog Registered Member

90idahoblaze: <font color=black>I've got 138,000 miles, and pretty bone stock as far as I can tell. Runs like the proverbial champ. Engine feels like it's got at least another 50,000 in it, so by the time the rest of the truck looks new again, it'll just about be time for that 383;;;[​IMG]

<font color=black> "Where did all these people come from, and how soon can they leave..."
    -OLD 97's</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.k5.batcave.net>www.k5.batcave.net</a>

15. Scooter

Scooter 1/2 ton status

Here is the only pic I have of the spare tire mount.
    Blue 87 GMC Jimmy
    Red 86 Toyota 4Runner (for sale $2000 obo)

16. 90idahoblazer

90idahoblazer 1/2 ton status

Right on brother!!!!!!....I havent heard too many people in here that have blown alot of stock gear up....Seems like the more you mess around the more money you have to spend....Of course Im not dogging anyone out...If I had the extra cash I would probly do some crazy things to...I like reading about all the upgrades....it gives me alot of ideas for when mine STB. Of course my wife just smiles when she sees me reading all of these...because she knows I like to spend money.....later