Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stock spare tire hole

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by muddysub, Aug 20, 2002.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

what did yall do with it? i'm thinking either cut it out and put a plate there to flatten it out or use it to mount a custom made sub woofer box. would that be possible?

2. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking about plating mine over, and chopping the rear fenders behind the wheel a little higher for better clearance. I thought about a subwoffer box, but I plan on having 2 in mine, so I'd have to add a hole on the other side to match. at some point, my jacks, and tools lived in that spot, but a rust hole opened up a little too much for my comfort, and I ended up just using it for oily rag storage for a while...

so many things I want to do to the suburban, so little time/money.

3. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

For the longest time it held junk , than my jack , than oil and spare parts, but those things never really fit in there well. I bought from i belive was www.steelsoldiers.com an old military air tank. Its about 3 1/2 gallons or so , with a mounting flange on both ends. It fits perfect in that hole , and i'am going to use that drain hole in the bottom of the well for , water from the tank. I ran a hose from tank to the hole with a shut off.. I filled under the tank(there is some space) with foam. Later i'am going to cover it over with a plywood half sorta box thing to neating it up.

Originally i was going to put a water tank in there. i found a place that sells poly tanks of almost every size and shape, and one that would fill that hole was like 60 bucks. but i got my water in 5 gallon cans now...

4. dbltapp

dbltapp 1/2 ton status

My Hi-Lift, AX, Pick, cutters. Crap mostly!

5. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Mine holds rags, ratchet straps, trailer wiring adapters, the big end of my hi-lift, and anything else that fits. I've thought of welding over it too but I'm not too worried about it. There's plenty of space in the bed for a sub woofer box anyway. I have a bandpass box with two 10 and plenty of space.

6. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

Right now it holds tools, jumper cables and fluids, but it's unbolted from when I moved my shackles back, so eventually I'll pull it out and stick a flat piece in there so I can enlarge the fenders(cut out the rust).

7. muddysub

77fixer... nice sig i have a sticker on my sub that says that. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

8. BigBluOx

BigBluOx 1/2 ton status

Hi-lift (the spare tire mounting bolt makes a great jack keeper), tow straps, blocks o' wood, bow saw, short handled sledge, tire chains & keepers, a couple o' used belts in case one breaks, and misc. small stuff...

Jon

9. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Um...my spare tire at the moment. I currently have 31x10 All Terains but am going to get 33x10.50 Mud Terrains as soon as I have enough money. should still fit in ther though

10. muddysub

mine is holding a 31x10 right now too and i decided that was kinda stupid so i wanted to know what to do with it. right now i'm thinking of making a custom sub woofer box in the shape of a tire and put the carpet piece back over it.

11. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Mine kinda holds a 35x12.50r15 MTR. It really kinda sits above it, but I store my jack and other stuff under it. As for speakers, I have 3 15s in an encloced box down the middle /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

12. FLASHLIGHT76

FLASHLIGHT76 1/2 ton status

I saw this done on a different truck. The guy took the wheel out and placed some box tubing inside the well then made a vertical reciever hitch. He would store his reciever mounted winch there all snug and secured. Under that he made some padded bins to hold tools and parts so they wouldn't rattle. I'm going to do this once I get the spare slung out back. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif