Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stock spring rates

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 78Jimmyish, Sep 9, 2001.

1. 78Jimmyish

78Jimmyish 1/2 ton status

Anyone know of the stock spring rates for Jimmys? Is there a table somewhere I can look it up on? Or I think someone posted a while back a formula to figure spring rates based on width, thickness, # leaves, etc. Anyone know that formula? I looked for it, but couldn't find it.

2. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Quality of the steel is a factor that, unfortunately, you cannot exactly calculate.

My guess, and I know a guess is not that helpful, is that they would be in the neighborhood of 300-350 pounds per inch.

So what are you planning? Getting a lift?

Lift It, Lock It, LIVE IT!!!

3. 78Jimmyish

78Jimmyish 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I've already ordered the Rough Country lift (I know, I know, high spring rate, but it's CHEAP.) Whoever put the lift on my truck put blocks in the front and back, and I'm going to Pennsylvania at the end of the month, so I wanna get that taken care of. I'm getting the 2 spring 2 block kit from Rough Country and then when I can afford it, I'll get new springs for the back. It was mostly just a curiousity question.

The spring rates on the Rough Country seem pretty damned high, but the responses from people on this board who have them seemed overall pretty good. And for $351 delivered for the kit including everything, I couldn't pass. I priced different systems, and the fact that I need the shocks too made me go with Rough Country.

4. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Here you go.

Spring Rate=E x (2+ n/N) x N x W x t(to the 3rd power) /
    .75 x I(to the 3rd power)

N= total number of leaves
    n= number of full length leaves
    E= Young's modulus (29,000,000)
    W= leaf spring width (inches)
    t= leaf springs thickness per leaf (inches)
    I= spring pack length

Donovan
    Nitro Fumes makes me Horrrrny