Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stock springs - how can you tell if they are good or not?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Steve88, Mar 7, 2000.

1. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

OK. Thought up this question on a reply to another post.

I've got an 88 with stock springs. Going to plan on a 4" lift (springs in front and shackle flip in rear). So at least my front springs will be brand new. Question is what should I check or look for in the rear springs to see if I should replace them or not when I'm doing the shackle flip? I can't think of a way to even ask for a ride height or distance between holes or anything because it all depends on how much gas you have in it, and if the spare tire is sitting in the rear or inside, etc, etc. I don't expect there is a way to tell how high it should be as it is.

So how can I tell (hopefully without taking them off, but if I have to that's fine) if the rear springs are sagging or where they should be and if I should replace them or not if they don't appear "damaged" at this point?

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado (a.k.a. ThunderDog)

2. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    This is easy, if they are stock, they need to be replaced, most likely with a set of 4" or 6" springs! [​IMG] If you are doing a shackle flip in the rear, I'd suggest a set of 2" springs for the rear. We all know how they like to sag anyway.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=blue>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

3. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

ITS STOCK.

MY DRINKING TEAM HAS A FOUR WHEELING PROBLEM!