Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stock Springs ??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mollyman, Feb 16, 2007.

1. mollyman

mollyman 1/2 ton status

I am lifting the rear of my 81 K10 sub 4" with the shackle flip kit. I need to replace my worn out stock springs with some new ones. I don't want any kind of lift with the spring. Does anybody know a good place to get them? I found them at JC Whitney but I would like a couple other options if there are any. Also I am trying to decide between ORD's shackle flip and DIY4X's. Does anybody have any opinions on this? THANKS :D

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've seen stock springs advertised in the mags but can't remember the shop name.
    I used ORDs and was very pleased with it. Bear in mind that to do the job properly you'll need to shim the axle to get a good pinion angle. Either downwards to get equal angles at both ends of the drive shaft or upwards for a straight line to the t/case if you're using a cv shaft (like one of HADs shafts).
    It'll work without correcting the angle but you may get vibration or uj bind at full drop.

3. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

I think Hellwig makes springs for J.C. Whitney; I know Hellwig makes springs for Tuff Country.:D

4. Pvt. Maggot

Pvt. Maggot 1/2 ton status

I'd suggest picking up a used set, I have a set of low mile springs from my k5 blazer. def save you some cash.

5. TexasBlazerBoy

TexasBlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

I bought ORD, if I had to do again I would go DIY. I don't like having to use the stock hangar for the shackle.

6. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Are you talking about the shackle, or the hanger? Just get the bushing style, longer shackles that DIY4X sells. That should work fine with ORD's flip.

7. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Are there any spring shops in your area? In the past I have bought OE style spring packs at local shops here for less than what they go for from places like LMC, JC whitney. I'm sure they have gone up, but no shipping etc. Or, like someone said, you could always find some that are used, but in better shape than yours.

8. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Yeah I'm curious about good places for stock springs. I always assume the JCW stuff is a bit cheaply made. :dunno: Do any lift companies make OE replacement springs? What about dealerships?

9. 70GMC

70GMC Registered Member

http://www.stengelbros.com/HeavyDutyLeafSprings.htm
    thats where i got the rear springs for my truck. i wanted to switch from 52s to 56s and JCwhitney only has 52s. stengelbros only has 56s. i'm definetly happy with the springs though, they seem to be just as good as OE. i have the ORD flip, stock shackles, and ORD greaseable bushings. i flipped the overload springs upside-down. i also had to get the 1" add-a-leafs that ORD has 'cause when i did the shackle flip and put bigger tires on my axle was almost 1 1/2" too far forward and the tires rubbed like hell. i dunno if that was an issue from the factory and the bigger tires just made it more noticeable or what. but yeah with the overload springs flipped it rides pretty nice and it flexes pretty well too. this is on a 70 1/2 ton shortbed by the way.