Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stock steering wheel mounting prob...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Neil, Sep 18, 2001.

1. Neil

Neil 1/2 ton status

I had taken my steering wheel off to replace the key cylinder. Now as I am trying to remount my steering wheel, it seems that the shaft is down too low for the steering wheel to mount down on the grooves it is supposed to go over. It is like the steering wheel is bottoming out on the column before it goes down on the shaft. I have tried to redo all my steps and make sure I didn't forget anything. Also when I used the steering wheel remover, it barely was needed, I put 1-2 turns on it and the wheel came right off with no trouble, so I know the remover tool didn't push it (the shaft) down any. I am getting frustrated and need some help! Thanks.

Neil H. Alabama.. "It's a full size thang, Jeep owners don't understand!!" '78 K5 400ci 4x4 AT,AC,PW Cheyenne., '74 C10 4x2

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Sounds like your lockplate's not compressed all the way - Is the lock ring set in it's groove, or did it pop off?

Special thanks to those lost from IAFF Locals 94 and 854 - You shall never be forgotten
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

3. Neil

Neil 1/2 ton status

I had to get the ring compressed again so it would be tight on the shaft. The lock plate is on and the ring is on top holding it in it's groove. The shaft is like it has been pressed down into the colum towards the front of the truck. It is a 74 Chevy by the way. I pulled on it to see if it would come up any and it stops where it is solidly down in the colum. The steering wheel is supposed to slip down over the grooves right? then the big 11/16 nut is supposed to go on right? I have been wrestling with this thing and it is a tough one to figure out why it is like this now.

Neil H. Alabama.. "It's a full size thang, Jeep owners don't understand!!" '78 K5 400ci 4x4 AT,AC,PW Cheyenne., '74 C10 4x2

4. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

If the lock ring is on, there's no theoretically possible way for it to be pressed down - there is a second groove further down the shaft for the lock ring - perhaps you need to take it down a little further - there's pics pugsley.alloffroad.com

5. Neil

Neil 1/2 ton status

I'll check em(pics) out. Thanks Pugsley.