Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stock stereo help needed please

Discussion in 'Audio' started by big d, Jul 24, 2003.

1. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

could someone please help me with the stock wires/stereo help. the po of my truck i think cut the connectors off all my stereo wires. do the wires lead up to,and or are tied into the heater a/c panel controls ? i want to put the stock stereo back in my rig, or at least have the stock wire converters. also, how does one go about getting access to the stock center dash speaker ? i want to check if it works or if it is even there !pics would be great. also, what is the dual wire lead for that is all by itself ? wire colors are orange and brown. the stereo i am installing came from an 87' blazer. thanks in advance. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    how does one go about getting access to the stock center dash speaker ?

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to pull the dash pad off. Pull the screws off the instrument panel, long the middle-passenger side there are several screws and one final screw on the extreme end on the passenger side that is only viewable/acessible with the passenger side door open.

If the vehicle came with an am/fm stereo or better then the center speaker is probably not there. It would have the 3.5" speakers on each side instead. The center speaker was normally installed on the stripped down versions with the AM only radios. If it isn't there then it's a 10x2" speaker that goes in the center hole.

as for the wiring issues I'd have to look it up. If nobody has an answer by tomorrow I'll dig through my books for the info.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I apsolutely refuce to dink with wires that someone has butchered. I feel it's so much better too start freash with new wires. Yeah, it's a PITA too run all new wires, but you'll know it's done right !!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

i respect the not messing with hacked up wires bit. i had to mess with a bad wiring job once with a 78' k20, was a nite mare.

5. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

thanks for info. any and all additional info will be greatly appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I hear that, I normally just cap off the wires that I question, and run new wires. You never know what someone has done in the past, so it's just not worth it to me too dink with "FUBAR" wiring. Just run new wires so you'll know it's done right.