Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stock suspension on a 72 K5

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ssls6, Feb 18, 2005.

1. ssls6

ssls6 Registered Member

How many leafs did the stock suspension come with on a 72 K5? How many front leafs? How about the rear? When I bought my 72 it came with 35s, a 4" skyjacker lift, and the stock springs loose in a box. The "springs in a box" look pretty big to me (3 front leafs, 6 rear).

I just finished rebuilding the frontend, rearend, adding a rear locker, and changing the tires to 33x10.5. I now need to drop the suspension lift down an 1" or 2" to achieve my vision for the vehicle. If my old springs really are stock, I may go with them with helpers. I thought of removing leafs from the skyjacker springs but that scares me a little. My fall back solution is to buy a new 3" tuff country lift and just sell the 4" skyjacker.

2. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

3 leaves in the stock suspension would be the heavy duty option. 2 would have been standard. Both my 3/4 tons had 3 leaves w/ correct RPO. The rears sound correct also.

On the skyjackers you could just remove the shortest leaf. On the rear leave the overload and remove the next leaf up.

3. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    My stock suspended 71 has 4 leaves in the rear with 2 HD helper leaves.You can see them in the pic.
    [​IMG]

My front has 3 leaves.

4. KiwiK5

KiwiK5 Registered Member

I replaced the very tired stock 2-leaf springs in the front of my 72 with a 5-leaf set for 4 extra inches by a local spring shop in SoCal. Now it's 15 years later and I'm looking to drop the old gal down an inch or so as well. I'm interested to know how things work out for you, ssls6.